Verizon to AT&T

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Apr 22, 2011
I have a Verizon iPhone, I also have an att phone, I want to use my iPhone on my att number, anyone know how to unlock it so I can transfer my phone to att? I love my phone. And JUST got it...I don't wanna give it up...

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I don't think you can transfer the number (port it) by simply unlocking it. You'll probably have to call your cell carrier(s) and talk with them about it. I could be wrong, of course.

Apr 22, 2011
Well actually, I'm not looking to change the number...I want to use my actual phone. I'm just not sure if unlocking it would work...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Are you asking if you can use a Verizon iPhone on the AT&T network or do you just want to stick with Verizon and use your current AT&T phone number with it?

If you want to use an iPhone on the AT&T network, you'll need to get a new phone. The Verizon iPhone cannot be used on a GSM network. It doesn't have a GSM radio chip, which is what AT&T and T-Mobile use. It has a CDMA radio chip. Unlocking is done on the GSM iPhone so it can be used with another GSM carrier, such as T-Mobile.

If you want to stick with Verizon but keep your AT&T number, why didn't you just port your AT&T number to Verizon when you got your iPhone? It's more complicated doing it now. You'll need to call Verizon and see if they can cancel your current number so you can port an AT&T number.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Well actually, I'm not looking to change the number...I want to use my actual phone. I'm just not sure if unlocking it would work...
I was replying at the same time you wrote this. No, this is not possible. Your Verizon 4 does not have a GSM radio chip so connecting to AT&T with it is not an option.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I was replying at the same time you wrote this. No, this is not possible. Your Verizon 4 does not have a GSM radio chip so connecting to AT&T with it is not an option.
Hello. I was searching and found this perfect thread. Am I reading that it's not possible at all to unlock a Verizon iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 to work on AT&T ?
There's your answer dude. Sorry!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Is this because AT&T is on a GSM Network? I've read that it is possible, but you have to do a bunch of crazy stuff, and features still won't work. That's unfortunate - for my friend.
Correct. The Verizon iPhone 4 is a CDMA device. There is no way to unlock it and use it with a GSM carrier.