Verizon to switch to GSM?

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
No real surprise. I was actually surprised they didn't try to move to it sooner. Vodaphone owns a big chunk of VZW and I know it must annoy them and their customers that they need a different phone when traveling to the US.

Joe

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9826437-37.html?tag=nefd.lede

i found that on CNET- it was interesting to read, that over the coming years, Verizon might switch to GSM technology (the stuff inside the iPhone...)

this could mean possibly (read: VERY UNLIKELY) that future versions of the iPhone could be on verizon's network.
Who knows what the iPhone would be by time this happens, you are looking more then 3 years down the line before they could do such a Mass change. Think of it this way every single Verizon customers phones would be obsolete unless they plan on running the two networks side by side.

Bosco115

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Who knows what the iPhone would be by time this happens, you are looking more then 3 years down the line before they could do such a Mass change. Think of it this way every single Verizon customers phones would be obsolete unless they plan on running the two networks side by side.
What do you think Cingular did seven years ago? They had a TDMA network alongside their new GSM network, eventually phasing it out.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
What do you think Cingular did seven years ago? They had a TDMA network alongside their new GSM network, eventually phasing it out.
True but it was a little different, TDMA was a network that was going away and not something that they were dumping any money into. Plus Cingular was no where near as large then as Verizon is today.