Verizon Unlock Q

sled14

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Fort Lauderdale
So this may be a dumb question but I tried searching and couldn't find anything definitive. Can an unlocked iPhone 3G be used with Verizon? I'm trying to give my friend my 3G since I have the 3GS but shes on Verizon and thought it wouldn't be a problem. I've heard it can't but also some links through google or videos on youtube show an unlocked iPhone being used through Verizon.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
No way, no how. It's 100% impossible to use an iPhone 1st gen/3G/S on Verizon. The iPhones are all strictly GSM phones and Verizon is a CDMA network.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You cannot use Verizon on an iPhone. I sent a PM explaining the reason for this in detail. The video you saw was probably a theme someone made that included the Verizon logo in the Carrier spot. You can change the image/text for the carrier, so it says what ever you want.

thabigo

Oct 23, 2007
WhAt about the verizon global phones like the storm it has a sim card

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
WhAt about the verizon global phones like the storm it has a sim card
Both Verizon and Sprint, the two largest CDMA carriers in the U.S., offer "global phones" that can also connect to GSM networks. This is to allow global travelers the option to roam on GSM networks outside of the U.S. (and they sign you up for a pricey global roaming plan when you travel overseas). Sprint and Verizon still do not have a GSM network in the U.S., so the iPhone, nor any other GSM phone, can work on their networks in the U.S. The existence of global phones like the Storm only means that Verizon and Sprint customers have an option to continue using their cell phone when outside of the U.S.