Verizon unveils iPhone rival Voyager

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Itrekman

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
I was just reading it

in my opinion this is good!
Im hoping with all this new phone that is trying to take some of the share from Apple would make Apple come out with major updates and software for there phone like MMS, bluethooth wireless headphones, ect.

the Holidays are around the corner and I see some major update comming

Cross my fingers

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
If Verizon is claiming its an iPhone killer I can promise you, its not.

I will add however, that this is exactly why Apple needs to open the iPhone up to outside developers. If its just hardware and UI someone will eventually create something equal to or better than. What sets these types of devices apart is how they evolve.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Verizon UI sucks majorly. There is no way that it will come close to the iPhone.
This actually was the one thing that finally pushed me to actually get the iPhone when I was really only considering it. I was a verizon customer, actually for about 8 years, very very happy with their service. The phone interface blew (imo) and every phone was locked into it. This phone will not be much different I think.

Oh, the high end phones like the blackberry did not have the locked interface, but those phones were more businesss oriented and did not meet my casual needs.

vicknik

Sep 26, 2007
No one has posted this yet or have I overlooked it?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071003/ts_nm/verizon_phones_dc

Verizon is already calling it the iPhone "killer". :rolleyes:
I really haven't seen too much info about the Voyager. Competition is good and hopefully it will add pressure to Apple to go to 3G quicker.

I'm a little skeptical about how good this is going to be. If anybody remembers chocolate they had an outstanding marketing campaign but the actual phone was a terrible user experience.

JewelDiamond

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Well, I just hope that Apple will work out a way to for use to have our own ringtones and 3pa's.
With different phones coming out like this, I'm sure they will do something.. Or else, people will move on... :mad:

DocHolliday

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
This is why I'm waiting right now. I am a verizon user, but their phones are either for the basic phone user with a little multimedia, or businesss.

I like the iPhone, but I'm waiting to see what Apple does in response, which would most likely be a 2nd gen phone. It would be hard for Apple to put out a software update to upload maps and GPS capability like the Nokia N95 8GB will have.

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
The iPhone killer remark reminds me of the release of the 1991 Mercury Capri. The Mazda Miata had been released a year or so earlier, and had been getting a ton of (well-deserved) press. The Capri made the front page of one of the major car rags, with the headline MIATA KILLER in huge print above the picture. Needless to say we all know how well that worked for Mercury.

That said, competition is almost always a good thing.

kghoops

Jun 19, 2007
Why would you want the phone to give vibrate feedback every time you touch the screen? Seems like a battery killer.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Several things about it were cool... and several things about it were annoying. While I don't think it's an "iPhone Killer" I certainly thing it will help Verizon hold onto customers who were previously considering switching away just so they could have an iPhone.

ClarkKent724

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Nashville, TN
agreed that competition is good. We'll see what Apple has up their sleeves I am sure. I love this thing and agree that the UI is everything. Well that and the fact that Apple is a leading innovator in consumer electronics.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Meh...I'm not seeing anyone lining up in the streets for this.
LOLOLOL

Remember the video of the user using the iPhone before iDay? HAHAHAH! Oh it's night and day compared to this video!
THE iPhone demo got my mouth WATTTTTTERRRRINNNNGGGG!

Did you hear when he said "large touchscreen?" That's so funny. This thing is TINY compared to the iPhone! Thicker though.

But it does have:
MicroSD
Mobile TV
2 mpx camera with many options like brightness
Real keyboard
And I'm sure there are more too.

Nice features. But again. The UI is so 2005.

I'll keep my iPhone thank you very much.

ChaosAttractor

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
With a full qwerty keyboard, the LG Voyager clearly has a leg up as an email/text msg device. The downside is the lack of built-in memory although there is a smart card slot. I doubt that the touchscreen UI is anywhere as sophisticated as that of the iPhone. The key difference in my mind is the availability of 3rd party apps, or lack thereof. Are you getting this Apple?

Apple needs to get their %#$* together and open up the iPhone and iPod touch for outside development.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Aren't microSD cards available in 8gb versions now? Shoot! I'd take that (or even 4gb with the promise of a future 8gb version) over 8GB internal storage any day!