Verizon unveils iPhone rival Voyager

DocHolliday

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
agreed that competition is good. We'll see what Apple has up their sleeves I am sure. I love this thing and agree that the UI is everything. Well that and the fact that Apple is a leading innovator in consumer electronics.
Whoa now, let's not get crazy. Apple is NOT the leading innovator in consumer electronics. I don't see Apple HD TV's, DVD players, HD DVD players, Blue Ray DVD players, home phones, etc. etc. Apple makes pc's an mp3/video player, and now a cell phone. That does NOT make you a leading innovator in consumer electronics.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
It will be Verizon's UI. All of their phones have the same Verizon type interface. Hence why it was stated that Verizon cripples their cell phones with the awful interface they provide with them.
User interface is not verizons, it is the individual phone mfg's. Crippling the device refers to DUN over bluetooth or GPS, not UI. Not saying that each carrier doesn't add their special sauce so to speak.

rittchard

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I'm curious what the touch screen and browser interfaces are really like. If it doesn't have the squeeze-zoom (or something comparable) and a decent browser (plus processor), 3G won't be much of a benefit for web browsing. I think I read the screen was smaller than the iPhone too?

In any case, you can't make an iPhone killer unless you kill iTunes/iPod as well. Looks cool (and keyboard is nice) but I doubt it will have much of an impact on the iPhone.

bmw330ci

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
Whoa now, let's not get crazy. Apple is NOT the leading innovator in consumer electronics. I don't see Apple HD TV's, DVD players, HD DVD players, Blue Ray DVD players, home phones, etc. etc. Apple makes pc's an mp3/video player, and now a cell phone. That does NOT make you a leading innovator in consumer electronics.
I agree. They're more of a refiner. But the iPhone and ipod did completely change the industry.

DocHolliday

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
I'm curious what the touch screen and browser interfaces are really like. If it doesn't have the squeeze-zoom (or something comparable) and a decent browser (plus processor), 3G won't be much of a benefit for web browsing. I think I read the screen was smaller than the iPhone too?

In any case, you can't make an iPhone killer unless you kill iTunes/iPod as well. Looks cool (and keyboard is nice) but I doubt it will have much of an impact on the iPhone.
As long as it's an MP3 player who cares if it's an ipod or if you use iTunes? Honeslty I'm not a huge fan of ipods, I use a Creative Labs Zen 30GB. It has better overall sound output to headphones, and the software is not as picky as iTunes. You don't have to load music "into" creative labs software. It just pulls it from it's directory to the device. If you sync to an empty folder it doesn't delete all your music like iTunes does, so it's actually a bit of a benefit not having to use iTunes.

ClarkKent724

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Nashville, TN
This is true, but by becoming Apple, Inc. I am sure we can expect many great things in the next 10 years.

iPhone8801

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
Agreed, it is not the leading innovator in the consumer electronics sector. However, Apple has done a great job in partnering up with some of the best to make most of their products. Thus, these companies have contributed to some of Apple's success.

In regards to the LG "iPhone killer." Why must there be 100 million buttons? Why does it look cheap. Why does it look like the most complicated device ever made? Why are there 2 screens? ....Oh, and it looks like a LITERAL BRICK!

Lg should seriously just stick to making TVs and computer monitors.

Sadly, in competition there is always a loser. LG don't waste your time trying to beat a champion.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
"Typically a carrier brings one, maybe two exciting products to the market in a year. We're bringing four," Lanman said, referring to the three new models and its existing LG Chocolate phone.
lol

EXCITING!

GP1138

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
The girl from the bus, remember? ...the last tour.
Crew Slut!

I hate Verizon's UI crippling. That's the main reason I switched to Cingular, even before the iPhone was branded Cingular.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Yes, I posted this. The thread was locked after a few people flamed me. Good luck with this one.
The thread you started deserved to be closed, as your intention was not to showcase a new Verizon phone but rather to try to get people to leave this forum. Big difference.

--
Mike

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
The thread you started deserved to be closed, as your intention was not to showcase a new Verizon phone but rather to try to get people to leave this forum. Big difference.

--
Mike

So you say. I never told people to leave the forum...a lot of people wanted to sell the iPhone and revert back to their previous digs. I was bringing current news to people and kidding around with them to boot. Grow a sense of humor.

:p <---------Did you notice THIS in my original thread?

Hey Chris, take the emoticons away please! People don't know how to use them or how to read them. So sad.

FW

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
So you say. I never told people to leave the forum...a lot of people wanted to sell the iPhone and revert back to their previous digs. I was bringing current news to people and kidding around with them to boot. Grow a sense of humor.

:p <---------Did you notice THIS in my original thread?

Hey Chris, take the emoticons away please! People don't know how to use them or how to read them. So sad.
I am not going to debate this with you. Chris closed the thread. 'Nuff said.

--
Mike

Lester56

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
If Verizon was iPhone's carrier I would never purchased one. Verizon has the absolute WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE ON THE PLANET.

Allow me to put it another way, using a well known Texas euphemism:

"I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with Verizon."

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
If Verizon was iPhone's carrier I would never purchased one. Verizon has the absolute WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE ON THE PLANET.

Allow me to put it another way, using a well known Texas euphemism:

"I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with Verizon."
Regardless of your experience, Verizon has always been at the top of customer satisfaction surveys. AT&T has not.

There are people dissatisfied with any carrier.

That said I can't stand Verizon either. ;) I am not kidding though, as they refuse to do any kind of build-out where I am located in AZ. Sprint is even better than them around here.

--
Mike