Verizon will do away with subisides for all new customers starting August 13th

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Starting August 13th, 2015, new customers will:
  • Pay full cost for phone upfront or pay in monthly installments spread over 24 months, interest-free
  • Choose and pay for a data package; four sizes available; change plan at any time:
    • Small: $30/month for 1 GB
    • Medium: $45/month for 3 GB
    • Large: $60/month for 6 GB
    • X-Large: $80/month for 12 GB
  • Pay a device access charge per device:
    • $20/month for smartphones
    • $10/month for tablets
    • $5/month for smaller devices like smartwatches
Information courtesy of 9to5Mac

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Current customers on a 2 year contract plan are grandfathered in and can continue with that if desired.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I've decided to leave Verizon for a cheaper plan with a different carrier. Still, even taking away the subsidies, the packages are pretty expensive when you factor in the plan and the smartphone access fee. I'm considering a move to MetroPCS or Ting. It depends if I can keep my number.

radtechy01

Bronze
Jun 1, 2015
Current customers on a 2 year contract plan are grandfathered in and can continue with that if desired.
What if when my contract is up? Can I go into another one? Or will I be forced to lease it?

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
What if when my contract is up? Can I go into another one? Or will I be forced to lease it?
Eventually everyone will have to either pay full, or do the EDGE plan. Grandfathered for now, until Verizon switches them all. Right now I think it's only new customers. When is your next upgrade? I'm thinking they'll have everyone switch by next year. Just how it is. You may pay a bit more, but you may get more gb per month and you'll have the option to upgrade each year if you can pay off the phone. Most everyone I know on EDGE or NEXT seem to like it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You don't have to use Edge. You can pay full cost. It's all the same thing - if you are going to keep it in the end, you're paying full cost one way or another. This is either through cash upfront, monthly payments or the old method of a subsidy discount with a higher plan charge.

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Eventually everyone will have to either pay full, or do the EDGE plan. Grandfathered for now, until Verizon switches them all. Right now I think it's only new customers. When is your next upgrade? I'm thinking they'll have everyone switch by next year. Just how it is. You may pay a bit more, but you may get more gb per month and you'll have the option to upgrade each year if you can pay off the phone. Most everyone I know on EDGE or NEXT seem to like it.
You beat me to it.