Very Confused to What the Best Solution

NateH

Dec 6, 2007
I just got an iPhone a few days back and understand it fairly well from playing with it. I have an issue that I'm not finding a solution. As far as my emailing goes, I currently advertise my main email address as mail@nathanhollis.com obviously it's a domain email. I have several email accounts and they all funnel to my Comcast main account. On my computer I currently use Outlook 2003 and use 3 or 4 folders once I read the email to separate and store needed emails. Before the iPhone I was using pocket pc on a different pda phone system and everything worked quite well for 2 or 3 years. I like the iPhone and the email on it, however I can't create a "folder" on it to stick the emails once I read them throughout the day. From looking on internet for last few days, the best that I can tell is to setup some type system to meet my needs through my gmail account. I'm having a real issue thinking this through of the logistics of how I should do it. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Please don't hesitate asking for any information of my setup I may not have included. Thanks again.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
We can fix this one.

All you need to do is direct your mail into an IMAP account somewhere (pm me if you can't set this up anywhere else - i'll do you one) - such as aol would be fine.

Create whatever mailboxes(folders) you want in the IMAP account and these will appear on your iPhone when you connect. Move the mail as you like on the iPhone between folders.

I think that does what you're looking for.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I think IMAP is your best solution. You could set up the gmail account and then forward all of your comcast mail to it. Gmail will even assign your original email address to any replies instead of the gmail address.

I fought this same battle back in July (right after iDay), and I finally came to the gmail conclusion. It has worked great ever since. :D

NateH

Dec 6, 2007
thank you lets see if I'm thinking right

ok i just set up a gmail account last week. step one would be to forward from my outlook to my gmail? step 2 would be to setup my folders in gmail like I want it to be on my iPhone. Step 3 would be to make my iPhone get the mail from gmail? I'm sure i could just have all email accounts forward directly into gmail, but I like it all coming to outlook on my 2 computers i have setup with outlook. Am I thinking correctly about the process or am I forgetting something? thanks again I really do appreciate the help

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
You want to have all of your emails forwarded to your outlook account and then have gmail set up to fetch everything going into that account as well. You will still get duplicate emails (outlook and gmail), but at least all of your emails will be manageable on your iPhone with your gmail account. As long as it is set up as an IMAP account, then you'll only have to move or delete them once.