very dim screen when waking phone after sleep mode

Jul 7, 2009
i want to start by saying that my auto-brightness feature is *off* so i do not think that's the issue.

the problem occurs when the phone is in sleep mode. sometimes when i click the home button to wake the phone back up the screen is extremely dim to the point where i can barely read it. sometimes it takes about 30 seconds and then the screen becomes bright again. other times i have to completely reset the phone in order to get the correct brightness back. and again - the auto-brightness feature is definitely off.

has anyone else experienced this problem? is this a hardware or a software issue? help!

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I have never heard of that happening before so can't help you but I am curious if you turn on the Auto Brightness does the same thing happen? You may have a defective light sensor on the front of the phone or some other hardware related issue. I would take it to Apple and show them the issue.

Jul 7, 2009
I have never heard of that happening before so can't help you but I am curious if you turn on the Auto Brightness does the same thing happen? You may have a defective light sensor on the front of the phone or some other hardware related issue. I would take it to Apple and show them the issue.
i would love to show the Apple people the issue, however it only happens probably 5% of the time. chances are i would never be able to duplicate it in the store. :(

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Yes I read about this recently here in one of these threads. It has now happened to me 4 times. I think we're waiting to see if 3.1 will be the cure. Since it's only happened to me 4 times out out say 2500 it would be hard to show Apple!

All I have to do is press the power off button to go to sleep mode and then wake it back up and it works fine. But yeah I wanna know what's wrong!

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
I had this happen once.

Jumpie

Jul 7, 2009
i want to start by saying that my auto-brightness feature is *off* so i do not think that's the issue.

the problem occurs when the phone is in sleep mode. sometimes when i click the home button to wake the phone back up the screen is extremely dim to the point where i can barely read it. sometimes it takes about 30 seconds and then the screen becomes bright again. other times i have to completely reset the phone in order to get the correct brightness back. and again - the auto-brightness feature is definitely off.

has anyone else experienced this problem? is this a hardware or a software issue? help!
yep...it's happened to me too. the way i reset it was by going to settings, display and change it. i've had to do it a few times.

iPhreak

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Happens to me as well. It has also happened to my wifes 3g. I wonder if it is a 3.0 glitch

Bryman

Bronze
May 30, 2009
colorado
Just happened to me right now came here to pst a thread and there was one already, i had to go to settings/brightness, and move the brightness button then it came back

no idea why its caused

edit: sorry no idea why caps lock was on lol ooops

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
Mine is doing this sometimes too. One thing ive noticed is its only done it at night when i was outside or in a dark room

I click the sleep button then hit the home button again and its working correctly

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Add me to the list of "happens to me" and on a pretty regular basis. I'm using Beta 3.1 but I think it was happening with 3.0. I usually just put it back to sleep then turn it on again and it brightens up. My setting is for Auto with the slider at about 50%.

Deke736

Bronze
Jul 24, 2008
Near St. Louis, MO
It's happeneded to me a few times as well. I just put it back to sleep and wake it back up. It is annoying though.

AmyLyn

Bronze
Just happened to me right now came here to pst a thread and there was one already, i had to go to settings/brightness, and move the brightness button then it came back

no idea why its caused

edit: sorry no idea why caps lock was on lol ooops
I have had this happen 3 times so far, and I did the same as above. Very annoying though!

bparkerson04

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
I have had this happen as well, where the screen will be dim for no reason after I 'wake it up' from sleep. I have really only noticed this I think when I first wake it up in the morning, after it has been charging all night. The screen is dim, but still readable, and it usually brightens fully after I use it for a few seconds. I think I have auto brightness on. I don't recall turning it on, but I have never turned it off either.

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
It has happened to me as well. Not much but I hope 3.1 fixes it!

Daiv1341

Jul 10, 2009
iPhone Dimming Issue

I've only had my 3Gs for 3 weeks and the dimming thing occurred about 3-days in the first time. At first it stayed dim for 10 seconds or so upon activation. The intial screen is bright, but as soon as I unlock and go to the home apps page it displays about 50% dim. As I said at first it occurred briefly then kick-in full brightness soon after; but tonight it went dim and now it seems to stay dimmed even after I turn it off (not a complete shut down) and when I turn it back on its still dim. Note that I have never messed with any settings related to dimming the screen; just the factory settings. I'm beginning to think its a problem. I'm going to Apple store tomorrow, will let you know what happens. -Daiv

Daiv1341

Jul 10, 2009
iPhone Dimming Issue: Conclusion

Here's the follow-up to the dimming question: I went back to the Apple Store and spoke with a rep there. She asked me about the ambient conditions where the dimming occurs--it seems that if the room you're in is dark and the Auto-brightness is ON (found in Settings), the dimming kicks in as the light sensor detects room darkness and compensates by dimming the screen--which is why it dims when you place the phone to your ear as the sensor is covered by your face. Seems to make sense. I now have Auto-brightness switched OFF and left the brightness slider in the middle position. So far it's been fine so lets see if this fixes the dimming issue.

AmyLyn

Bronze
Here's the follow-up to the dimming question: I went back to the Apple Store and spoke with a rep there. She asked me about the ambient conditions where the dimming occurs--it seems that if the room you're in is dark and the Auto-brightness is ON (found in Settings), the dimming kicks in as the light sensor detects room darkness and compensates by dimming the screen--which is why it dims when you place the phone to your ear as the sensor is covered by your face. Seems to make sense. I now have Auto-brightness switched OFF and left the brightness slider in the middle position. So far it's been fine so lets see if this fixes the dimming issue.

Definitely not the case for me. My autobright has been off since Day 1 to conserve battery....