Very strange iPhone problem, can anyone help?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Alex87, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Alex87

Alex87 New Member

I have a very unusual problem with my iPhone 4. I have tried to search the web for answers but nothing really matches up. I have had my phone for a year and a half (from new) and had no problems at all with it until recently. Last night as I was reading the BBC news app and it crashed. I thought I would reboot the phone as I had not done it in a while but when I did it did not reboot as normal but became stuck in a loop of showing the Apple logo and the round timer thing. Nothing I tried could fix this until I stuck it in DFU mode and wiped it and restored the firmware (5.1.1). During this process the Apple logo with the progress bar was displayed but this did not reach 100% complete and then hung. I had to retry the DFU and restore about 3 or 4 times until I could actually get it to boot and I set it up as a new phone. However (again) during this new phone initialisation the screen hung when I was entering my password for my wifi. Again I had to do the DFU process and redo the firmware thing again and eventually it worked. The problem now is pretty much all the apps (including settings, messages and weather etc...) crash as soon as they are opened. Something is seriously not right and my phone is pretty much useless at the moment. What is the usual process for something like this? Take it into the Apple store? Any help at all would be fantastic.

Many Thanks,
    Alex

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

If you've restored the device as new more than once and it's still not cleared the problem - I would say this is clearly a hardware problem.

Book an appointment at your local Apple store and seek a replacement.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Just to clarify - the phone was restored to factory settings (and your backup was not applied later on) and it is not jailbroken? If you did apply your backup after the factory restore or jailbreak it, try opening the stock apps after a DFU mode factory restore and let us know if they still crash.

4. Alex87

Alex87 New Member

Thanks guys. Europa, yes the apps still crash from factory restore. I just tried connecting bluetooth in the car and that failed also. As soon as you leave the bluetooth menu in settings the symbol in the top right hand corner disappears. This is not (and never has been) a jailbroken phone.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Okay, I agree with iPhonewarrior and recommend taking it to Apple for repair/replacement.