vibrate button on side came off

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
the small silver toggle button for the vibrate mode above the side volume buttons fell off. I pushed it back on and it was fine. Today I noticed it missing.

Is this covered by warranty? How do you make the claim if so? Am I without the phone for long? I must say I was disappointed that this occurred in just few months of ownership. I take care of my things so it is not due to abuse.

Thanks
PDA@aacpas.com

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
If you take it into an Apple Store and tell them the switch fell off, they'll replace the phone for you on the spot.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This is not a common problem, but has happen to a few phones here on the forum. As long as there are no signs of abuse, Apple will replace with no problem.
If you are jailbroke, be sure to restore first.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Just got a new phone last week because of this. Mine fell off when I was putting on an Invisible Shield. I didn't notice it at first but when I did I could not find the little piece anywhere. I called Apple iPhone 800# and they told me they would mail me a new phone out for $20+ for shipping and handling or I could exchange it at the Apple store if I made and appointment. I restored because it was jailbroken and they switched it out no problems.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Just got a new phone last week because of this. Mine fell off when I was putting on an Invisible Shield. I didn't notice it at first but when I did I could not find the little piece anywhere. I called Apple iPhone 800# and they told me they would mail me a new phone out for $20+ for shipping and handling or I could exchange it at the Apple store if I made and appointment. I restored because it was jailbroken and they switched it out no problems.
They're charging people for over the phone replacements now?

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
They're charging people for over the phone replacements now?
Well, they told me they had to charge me shipping plus a special handling charge and it was a little over $20. I said forget that and took it to the Apple store.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Well, they told me they had to charge me shipping plus a special handling charge and it was a little over $20. I said forget that and took it to the Apple store.
I wonder if it was just for this issue, or any issues at all. I remember with my V1 I could call in if I had a problem and it would be 100% free. I never had to pay a dime...

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
A friend of mine just had hers fixed and she wasn't charged a penny. I know f you ask for a loaner iPhone they will send you one , you send yours in , then they send your replacement back and you send back the loaner.
They will try n charge u for that but i never paid for a loaner . told them there was no way i would pay for a loaner on a warranty issue and they never gave me a problem

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I have had problems before too with v1 and was never charged before. I just thought this person didn't know what they were talking about and headed for the Apple store, but honestly he was going to charge me!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I find it odd that the only people reporting this problem seem to be 3G owners. I thought those new buttons and switches were metal instead of plastic? Shouldn't they be stronger?

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I don't know for sure, but it just seems to me that they are plastic chrome painted. Having owned both phones, quality definitely went down with 3g. The button on mine slipped off so easily I could not believe it.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I have seen this issue several times on this forums, truly stinks. I was playing with a co-workers V1 to compare the differences, and all around hers feels more durable. Heck, if you tap on the glass the V1 has a much deeper thump. LOL, I know I am a tad nuts, however I think the build quality definitely went down with the 3G.

tbs

Bronze
Aug 23, 2008
the small silver toggle button for the vibrate mode above the side volume buttons fell off.
Mine fell off after owning the 3G for ~1 month. Never did find the button. Took it to the Apple store and they swapped it for a new iPhone.

I third the fact that the quality went to crap on the 3G. My brother has a first gen and it just feels way more solid in your hand. Granted, it's a tad more difficult to grip, and has an ugly blue screen, but it's definitely built better.
I wish they kept the same body and just made overall improvements and added the new features of the 3G to the old build quality. What a shame.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Thanks for the info. The Apple store is close so I guess I will make a trip and save the $20.

The button is VERY light. Not sure it is metal. I found mine twice and put it back on. There seemed to be a little click so I thought it would stay on. The last time, though it was lost.

My phone is not jailbroken, but does have tons of data and apps.

Oh, new thought, I have the invisible shield. Guess I am going to have to order a new one and figure out how to take this one off.

Actually, my invisible case was coming up on the corners (cannot say I was thrillied with the product, but felt it kept the back and front from scratches).

tbs

Bronze
Aug 23, 2008
Mine fell off after owning the 3G for ~1 month. Never did find the button. Took it to the Apple store and they swapped it for a new iPhone.

Oh, new thought, I have the invisible shield. Guess I am going to have to order a new one and figure out how to take this one off.

Actually, my invisible case was coming up on the corners (cannot say I was thrillied with the product, but felt it kept the back and front from scratches).
Mine had the invisible shield too. When I got my new phone I purchased the BodyGuardz. It is the same price as the invisible shield and comes with 2 sets of shields. It came super fast and I like it better than the invisible shield (less orange peel appearance).

GreekGeek

Jul 6, 2009
The button is metallic but it fits around a plastic button (like a shield) and is just slightly recessed. Mine popped off the other day when I went to put a plastic cover on as well though I didn't loose it. I'm thinking a small dab of super glue may do he trick. IMHO the button was very poorly designed.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
No reason to glue. Go get a new phone. You paid plenty for it.