vibrate stopped working...

ItsMeArjay

Bronze
Jul 23, 2009
Clearwater, FL
www.twitter.com
I've had my 3GS since June and all of a sudden I noticed the vibrate doesn't work on it anymore. has this happened to anyone else? Like it won't work on certain apps, but it works SOMETIMES when I get a call. But when i get a text it doesn't work. When I flip the switch from ring to vibrate it doesn't vibrate either. I reset the phone to default settings, and its still not working. Any ideas? Oh, and my phones jailbroken of course, but I haven't downloaded any apps that would affect it. Please help

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
It vibrates due to a mechanical device, a motor spinning an unbalanced weight.

So it could be the motor is going, or is gummed up, jammed, etc. Have you dropped the iPhone?

Still a chance, albeit small, that it could be software related. Since you'll have to restore to have it looked at by Apple anyway, you'll be able to see if it indeed works again after the restore.

--
Mike

ItsMeArjay

Bronze
Jul 23, 2009
Clearwater, FL
www.twitter.com
I dropped it once actually when I fell asleep on the couch. Thank god I had the speck candy shell on it. Anyways, I'll just have to reset it when I come home from Vegas since I don't wanna be with out my apps. I'll just have to make do without vibrate. :(

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
When you dropped the phone did you encounter problems then? You may have unseated a wire inside your phone.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
When you dropped the phone did you encounter problems then? You may have unseated a wire inside your phone.
Huh? The iPhones have wires in them? I thought Apple PCB engineers were good enough to deal with making a PCB without wires... I don't think that's the case.

I think the problem resides in the actual buzzer (probably a piezo buzzer). Just go to Apple (not your telco; they will just send you to an Apple retail store) and they will surely get it replaced for you.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Huh? The iPhones have wires in them? I thought Apple PCB engineers were good enough to deal with making a PCB without wires... I don't think that's the case.

I think the problem resides in the actual buzzer (probably a piezo buzzer). Just go to Apple (not your telco; they will just send you to an Apple retail store) and they will surely get it replaced for you.

Er... yes they do. Well if you want me to correct myself, the correct term would be ribbon cable. I've had many phones in bits over the last few months. The vibrate as mentioned is a small electric motor spinning an unbalanced weight. When the phone is dropped it may unseat or simply knock one of the small cables or wires out of position and may not be making contact.

To the OP. Your phone is jailbroken.. right?
Plug it into iTunes and hit the badboy restore button, set up as new phone so there are no visible signs of a Jailbreak and take it to the Apple Store and they will replace it.