Victim of theft :(

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
So, I've just learnt the hard way about leaving stuff in your car. Even if it's not on direct display (behind a car seat etc) it's just not worth it.

Saturday (just past) I woke up to a sunny but frosty morning. The father-in-law popped around to see my son and noticed that a nice person smashed the back window of my Insignia estate. My Targus bag was behind the drivers seat; inside was my iPad 3 wifi/3g, Nexus 7 1st Gen. laptop(s), Wera screwdriver set (completely gutted about these), sidecutters, fluke test equipment, all my peripherals and all my associated chargers. The bag was taken. The person who took it hit the jackpot. Tried to track the iPad; offline... my heart sank as I enabled remote wipe (in hope that it would be turned back on and send off a known location before the new owner restored it).

Worst part of it, I went looking for the bag as it had a lot of other administrative type stuff inside i.e electrical drawings, blueprints and my diary. So I go looking on a local park, sometimes you see empty tossed handbags in the bushes from the petty criminals so I was sort of hoping that I would find my bag as well. Whilst searching for it I got bitten by a dog with a drunken owner. Needless to say this was the icing on the cake. My weekend was ruined, which in turn led to a crap week. I'm now down about £1000+ and I've not even paid the excess on insurance. Yet.

I just hope this weekend its better than my last.

Summary - don't leave stuff in your car as there is probably someone out there who is willing to take it off your hands free of charge.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Keep an eye on your photo stream. Thieves will often take pictures with stolen iOS devices only to have the pics show up in your photostream. You can then use the exif data on the pictures to get their exact GPS location, which you can give the police.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Sorry to hear about this

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
Dude, sorry about your loss. That's despicable. Hope karma will bite them in the butt for you. Aside from the anger you're feeling I'm sure there's a bit of feeling voilated in the worst way. As a person who keeps a lot of stuff in his car, I know I would be devastated. I hope it doesn't take something like this to make me wise up. Maybe the thief will do something stupid and give you a location to search (with the authorities of course).

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
That's a horrible weekend and to top it off you get bit by a dog. It's upsetting to hear thing like this when you work hard for what you have and live an honest life and some punk comes in and does this.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Been in touch with my insurance company, i'm not covered for most of the items except one of the laptops. When I was in the forces I had item specific insurance for one of my laptops in case it was lost or stolen. Thankfully I had it covered for £1300. Hopefully i'll at least get a laptop replaced.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Keep an eye on your photo stream. Thieves will often take pictures with stolen iOS devices only to have the pics show up in your photostream. You can then use the exif data on the pictures to get their exact GPS location, which you can give the police.
I've seen nothing, I was sort of hoping the idiot that took it would make a mistake :(

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I've seen nothing, I was sort of hoping the idiot that took it would make a mistake :(
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Does the iPad have a Find My Phone feature enabled so its bricked when they attempt to restore it? Hope you recover something or replace with insurance.

Tech guy4

Feb 14, 2014
I hate that happened
Thebes make me sick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Spending my Saturday morning collecting evidence to prove that I owned my own laptop. Stupid. Having a trawl back through a few years of bank statements to find the date of purchase etc. Miss my iPad :(

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Does the iPad have a Find My Phone feature enabled so its bricked when they attempt to restore it? Hope you recover something or replace with insurance.
You can get around that by putting the device into DFU so unless they turn it back on again with my details still on it, it should in theory ping off a long and lat and remote wipe... if it comes back online I'm going after it!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't think it really bricks it. I just prevents them from restoring it. I tested it in DFU mode with mine on 7.0 last fall and I couldn't restore it until I disabled Find My iPhone with my iCloud password. If Find My iPhone is on, the thief won't be able to restore it...unless they know about the bug and a passcode was not set. There is a security flaw in 7.0.4 that allows disabling Find My iPhone, so if you don't have a passcode set they could get it disabled then restore it and sell it. If there is a passcode and Find My iPhone is on, as far as I know they won't be able to restore it.
Spending my Saturday morning collecting evidence to prove that I owned my own laptop. Stupid. Having a trawl back through a few years of bank statements to find the date of purchase etc. Miss my iPad :(
I hope it all works out and you at least get the value of the electronics through insurance.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
sorry to hear that. that really sucks. i see you had a nexus 7. next if you get another Android device you need to get an app called "cerberus" i think if you get this app your changes of getting your phone back are very good. cause you can hide the app so no-one knows it's even on the phone and even if they totally wipe the phone cerberus will still be on it.