Video Calling (ichat)?

smileyman

Bronze
Aug 3, 2008
What exactly is this. Wouldn't the camera have to be on the front of the phone for this to work? The picture from the "Fido" roadmap doesn't reflect this....

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
What exactly is this. Wouldn't the camera have to be on the front of the phone for this to work? The picture from the "Fido" roadmap doesn't reflect this....
Look in the bottom right corner, it says that the image isn't the product you are going to see. I'm not sure about iChat coming, at least on AT&T, but maybe some carriers will support it. Maybe we will see a front facing camera, but since the 4 and 8GB will most likely be budget versions that won't include the front facing camera and maybe other features in the higher priced versions.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Look in the bottom right corner, it says that this isn't the product you are going to see. I'm not sure about iChat coming, at least on AT&T, but maybe some carriers will support it. Maybe we will see a front facing camera, but since the 4 and 8GB will most likely be budget versions that won't include the front facing camera and maybe other features in the higher priced versions.
Hi iphun - Why don't you think AT&T will get iChat? Will it be an additional cost to us rather than just go in with the unlimited data package some people have? I thought maybe iChat was a software and would just go in with the unlimited package. I hope so.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Hi iphun - Why don't you think AT&T will get iChat? Will it be an additional cost to us rather than just go in with the unlimited data package some people have? I thought maybe iChat was a software and would just go in with the unlimited package. I hope so.
Hi adnurahs - I remember someone saying that something like iChat which is streaming video would be against their terms of service. Now I could be wrong especially since iChat is a little different than streaming TV for example through Sling since there probably won't be tons of people that will be willing or able to do it since it will be an iPhone only feature(at this time). I think if they do have it they might include it at an additional cost, but I think we already pay enough for the data so it's hard to say. iChat is kind of the messages app, phone app, and safari all put together which we pay to use each unless you don't pay for texts, so they should just charge it off of those plans.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Hi adnurahs - I remember someone saying that something like iChat which is streaming video would be against their terms of service. Now I could be wrong especially since iChat is a little different than streaming TV for example through Sling since there probably won't be tons of people that will be willing or able to do it since it will be an iPhone only feature(at this time). I think if they do have it they might include it at an additional cost, but I think we already pay enough for the data so it's hard to say. iChat is kind of the messages app, phone app, and safari all put together which we pay to use each unless you don't pay for texts, so they should just charge it off of those plans.
I had no idea what iChat was. Thanks for clearning that up for me. I feel like NOOB sometimes! LOL! I think you have a point, they may offer it, if they do, at an additional price. It would be nice if they can include it in the data package. I pay for the unlimited texts $30 per month for a family plan. We'll see how it goes. AT&T did say that prices would be lower, but I think that was only for the new people coming in.

Now I am even more excited than before. Monday, can't get here soon enough. I took off of work yesterday knowing that I wanted to take off on the 8th too. I don't think I can be at work all day while the announcement is going on. I hope someone posts some streaming links.

Thanks again iphun!

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I had no idea what iChat was. Thanks for clearning that up for me. I feel like NOOB sometimes! LOL! I think you have a point, they may offer it, if they do, at an additional price. It would be nice if they can include it in the data package. I pay for the unlimited texts $30 per month for a family plan. We'll see how it goes. AT&T did say that prices would be lower, but I think that was only for the new people coming in.

Now I am even more excited than before. Monday, can't get here soon enough. I took off of work yesterday knowing that I wanted to take off on the 8th too. I don't think I can be at work all day while the announcement is going on. I hope someone posts some streaming links.

Thanks again iphun!
No problem! Here's iChat on the mac, so we would probably see a condensed version of it http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/ichat.html

I have also heard that Fido doesn't charge extra to tether and didn't have a problem with people doing on 3.0. They include tethering into their data plans but AT&T doesn't, so that's where I could see them charging us. But then again iChat is different from tethering since you will have to talk to someone using a 3rd gen iPhone, unless they make it possible to chat with a Mac. I just don't see a massive amount of iChat traffic to let AT&T worry about the network being stressed.

I know! I am glad I have monday off, I just wouldn't be able to pay attention to anything other than iPhone news. I used http://live.gdgt.com/ for the 3.0 keynote, but I don't know if they'll be covering WWDC because there's no mention of it on the site. But don't worry there will be tons of live sites popping up soon.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
Look in the bottom right corner, it says that this isn't the product you are going to see. I'm not sure about iChat coming, at least on AT&T, but maybe some carriers will support it. Maybe we will see a front facing camera, but since the 4 and 8GB will most likely be budget versions that won't include the front facing camera and maybe other features in the higher priced versions.

actually this is to be interpreted as IMAGE not actual product...not App not actual product...

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL

Yes the camera will be on the front of the phone, just as in a MacBook. Tight work...hope it comes through this time...

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
actually this is to be interpreted as IMAGE not actual product...not App not actual product...
Fixed it, that's what I meant lol. I am thinking it will be in there this year. That will be another one of those things other phones won't be able to compete with and you will see them implementing not long after because of Apple.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
No problem! Here's iChat on the mac, so we would probably see a condensed version of it http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/ichat.html

I have also heard that Fido doesn't charge extra to tether and didn't have a problem with people doing on 3.0. They include tethering into their data plans but AT&T doesn't, so that's where I could see them charging us. But then again iChat is different from tethering since you will have to talk to someone using a 3rd gen iPhone, unless they make it possible to chat with a Mac. I just don't see a massive amount of iChat traffic to let AT&T worry about the network being stressed.

I know! I am glad I have monday off, I just wouldn't be able to pay attention to anything other than iPhone news. I used http://live.gdgt.com/ for the 3.0 keynote, but I don't know if they'll be covering WWDC because there's no mention of it on the site. But don't worry there will be tons of live sites popping up soon.
Thanks for the link to iChat. I don't have a Mac yet! *Gasp* I know, I know! :( Sad state of affairs, but my husband knows we gotta get one. He has the final word. I'm the electronics geek and I get him into stuff. He knew nothing of the iPhone until I made him sit down and look at last years WWDC, then he was interested. He knows our antiquated PC can't handle another thing so maybe, just maybe we will get an iMac or a Mac book Pro or something soon! This new iPhone, I told him, will totally blow out our computer with little to no space left on it even our external hard drive is stressed and stretched. :( Uh! But I am optomistic :laugh2:. If this iChat stuff is true, it will probably be the thing to push him to just buy the new computer. He's already looking forward to the video recording on the iPhone and he wants Garage band. :laugh2:

Yeah, I know! I may not be able to pay any attention here at work. I took off last year because of that very reason. I may have to blow another day next Monday and make it up on the back end.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Thanks for the link to iChat. I don't have a Mac yet! *Gasp* I know, I know! :( Sad state of affairs, but my husband knows we gotta get one. He has the final word. I'm the electronics geek and I get him into stuff. He knew nothing of the iPhone until I made him sit down and look at last years WWDC, then he was interested. He knows our antiquated PC can't handle another thing so maybe, just maybe we will get an iMac or a Mac book Pro or something soon! This new iPhone, I told him, will totally blow out our computer with little to no space left on it even our external hard drive is stressed and stretched. :( Uh! But I am optomistic :laugh2:. If this iChat stuff is true, it will probably be the thing to push him to just buy the new computer. He's already looking forward to the video recording on the iPhone and he wants Garage band.

Yeah, I know! I may not be able to pay any attention here at work. I took off last year because of that very reason. I may have to blow another day next Monday and make it up on the back end.
This is the perfect time to get a mac just in time so your new iPhone won't have to ever meet your old computer :p If he want's Garage Band really bad just take him to an Apple store and let him play with it a little, I bet you'll probably be leaving with a new mac after he gets into other stuff. Yeah if you got a mac you guys could iChat with each other ;) You gotta sell it to him with ever little feature even if you have to bring up the dumbest features just to make it look good. :laugh2:

bulls6pack

Bronze
Jan 27, 2009
Peoria, Illinois
The only thing that stinks about iChat is, you have to know someone with an iPhone, I think? It wouldn't be on other phones would it? If it is true about iPhone only, I only know 1 other person with an iPhone, and Im not close enough to that person to video chat all the time.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
This is the perfect time to get a mac just in time so your new iPhone won't have to ever meet your old computer :p
Actually, my iPhone and XP get along very well. It seems like quite a bit of iPhone "hacking" software comes out for Windows first, anyway.

I'm not denigrating Mac at all - I have a Leopard drive on my PC as well.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
The only thing that stinks about iChat is, you have to know someone with an iPhone, I think? It wouldn't be on other phones would it? If it is true about iPhone only, I only know 1 other person with an iPhone, and Im not close enough to that person to video chat all the time.
I'm in the same position, so I really don't care about video chat.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
That's what I was saying about AT&T probably not having a problem with it. They doubt it's going to be like calling someone, and even if you can chat with a mac or pc you still won't use that a whole lot either. It will be something it will have, but we will never really use and forget about. The front camera would get almost all it's use for taking pictures, I'm figuring they would let us take pictures with it.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
This is the perfect time to get a mac just in time so your new iPhone won't have to ever meet your old computer :p If he want's Garage Band really bad just take him to an Apple store and let him play with it a little, I bet you'll probably be leaving with a new mac after he gets into other stuff. Yeah if you got a mac you guys could iChat with each other ;) You gotta sell it to him with ever little feature even if you have to bring up the dumbest features just to make it look good. :laugh2:
LOL! Sell it to him! I will do just that! LOL! I know him, he's stubborn but if things make sense to him, he'll buy it, after an onslaught of questions for the sales people he might take that wallet out.

I'll see how it goes. The cheapest iMac $1,400, I think, is 1 billion % better than what we have now.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Actually, my iPhone and XP get along very well. It seems like quite a bit of iPhone "hacking" software comes out for Windows first, anyway.

I'm not denigrating Mac at all - I have a Leopard drive on my PC as well.
I bet you have a lot of space on your PC and I gather it's not as old as 2001. My computer was born in 2001 :sick: and although it isn't dead yet, it is on life support and soon it may be pointless and we will have to pull the plug. :eek:

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I bet you have a lot of space on your PC and I gather it's not as old as 2001. My computer was born in 2001 :sick: and although it isn't dead yet, it is on life support and soon it may be pointless and we will have to pull the plug. :eek:
Well, yeah - I rebuild from time to time and have around four terabytes of hard drive space to play with.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Well, yeah - I rebuild from time to time and have around four terabytes of hard drive space to play with.

WHAT! Four Terabytes! You are serious sir! Very very serious! That's cool and economical! You Rock! :cool: I can definitely say that! That is awesome. Puts my POS to shame indeed! WOW!

I guess I shouldn't be so impressed, but I would not want to upgrade my POS anymore than I already have.

I want to move on up to a MAC. But you are awesome my man, awesome!
Four whole Terabytes! :eek: