Video compression

xsbx

Bronze
Jan 5, 2008
Ok so I want to put some movies on my iPhone but they turn out to be like 700 to 1 gig. Is there some special compression method to reduce the size?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Ok so I want to put some movies on my iPhone but they turn out to be like 700 to 1 gig. Is there some special compression method to reduce the size?
The problem with further compression is that the video quality goes down considerably.

700m to 1g is average for a decent quality movie.

The iPhone has a very high resolution display and working on anything less than a 1:1 scale ratio is unfortunately going to become evident because the screen will show you all the video's flaws.

soilsample

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
South Louisiana USA
I use xylosoft DVD ripper.
I rip to 512 bitrate. Movies look pretty good and usually about 500mb.

I just wish audio sync was more consistent.

ChArLiE713

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Everytime i try to sync a movie that i converted with Videora, it doesn't show up under videos. I mean, it syncs into the phone but it goes under "Other" on the memory thing you look at the in iTunes. It takes up memory but it is not there. Can anyone help me?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I use Videora at the lowest video bitrate settings (still looks more than fine on the small screen) and it will reduce a 90-minute movie to around 250MB.

Regarding the issue with the videos showing up strange on the iPhone, I dunno... it's always just worked for me. Check the settings as to where the video is saved perhaps?

Or just uncheck the option to automatically import into iTunes and do it manually...

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I have Videora as well and no problem ever. I also store my movies on an external drive, then I IMPORT it into iTunes.

amiroo79

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Southern California
Everytime i try to sync a movie that i converted with Videora, it doesn't show up under videos. I mean, it syncs into the phone but it goes under "Other" on the memory thing you look at the in iTunes. It takes up memory but it is not there. Can anyone help me?
have you at any point used the SwapTunes app?

amiroo79

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Southern California
swap tunes does not apply. He is trying to get iTunes to see the movie he converted, that is the problem.
it might. i had the same issue when i used swaptunes with videos showing up in the "other" portion of memory. either way, it's fixable. what he has to do is manually put it in there by going to the media folder and go to the iTunes_Control folder where he can move the videos and put them in the right place. and if he does have swaptunes, he needs to delete the second iTunes_Control folder.

it's all fixable...

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Where in iTunes does your video show up after you've imported? For it to sync with your device, it must be in a compatible format (mp4, m4v, mov, etc.). Right click or ctrl-click the video title, and look up get info.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Where in iTunes does your video show up after you've imported? For it to sync with your device, it must be in a compatible format (mp4, m4v, mov, etc.). Right click or ctrl-click the video title, and look up get info.

When you import a movie into iTunes, you actually don't put it in iTunes. It stays where ever you made it, it only points iTunes to your file. If you move that file, iTunes does not know where you moved it to until you show it where it moved to.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Thanks for the clarification, KNK. I've forgotten that I configured my iTunes library to consolidate audio and video files in the same music folder. :)

Back to the OPs issue, video files will have a specific tag (e.g., mp4, m4v, mov). The OP should check the file being incorrectly synced to see if it is compatible with the device. A WMV file won't play in iTunes, but could it sync over to the device as an "other", especially if the device is set to disk mode?