Video of Alleged Sapphire Glass for iPhone 6 Undergoes Scratch and Flexibility Testing

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
The purported (I think I've used that word more often in the past month than in my entire life up until now) sapphire glass said to be coming to the iPhone 6 is scratch-tested and then bent far more than I'm comfortable with to test its durability.

Whatever the truth is, I really like this guy's YouTube presentations.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I agree, his work is exceptional. As for the part, the source of both of today's videos was Sonny Dickson. His track record is pretty good. He had the 5c shells last year, among others.

I'm more interested in shatter proof. I've seen too many phones with smashed displays for my liking and $249 is an awful lot to get it fixed. I wouldn't be surprised if that goes up with the bigger display. Bigger phone could also translate to more drops. More drops, more shatters, unless this sapphire really does make a difference.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I like this. It looks legitimate. I would be willing to pay more for a sapphire glass screen. You would probably not even need a screen protector anymore. The screen protector market for the iPhone may eventually become obsolete.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Wonder what glare will be like. I know it's pretty universal with all smart phones, but the iPhone is impossible to see in the sun.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I can see my screen just fine in the bright sun. Try turning auto-brightness on.
Agreed. Auto-brightness FTW.

Although I use an anti-glare screen protector on my 5, it's mainly for protection. Looking forward to use a phone where I don't need a screen protector!

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
I really hope they add this as then I won't need you use a stupid screen protector !
I hate putting them on !
Drives me nuts !