Video Orientation

casssax

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
Can someone explain to me how to take videos with the iPhone 4 and not have them come out small and sideways?

I shoot video and sometimes it comes out full size in landscape and other times it comes out small and I have to turn the phone to see it full screen.

So how do you have to hold the phone when shooting video?

primsa

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
Rockford Il.
Videos play back the same way you take them. Works best to hold the iPhone horizontal when taking videos.

shupik69

Silver
May 11, 2010
louisiana/Africa
I hold mine vertical with the camera turned to the left...this is the only way I get them to transfer properly to my Pc! Pictures are still a mystery as they transfer all kinds of different ways?!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
having same problems, seems it would be some simple answer but can't find one? I have the same trouble. And with stills I'll rotate them in Preview or something else and then upload them to like Facebook but they'll come through rotated the wrong way anyway?

shupik69

Silver
May 11, 2010
louisiana/Africa
Agreed, i even try rotating the phone different ways while transfering to pc just to see if it has an affect...like you, no clear answers on this matter!

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Movie files are best shot holding the phone in landscape mode. Otherwise you get these really tall videos and the video editing programs (imovie for one) cuts off the tops of the videos.

I agree about photo's. They come in sideways most times, but very difficult to determine why. I have searched, but yet to find and answer.

ich0pz

Bronze
Nov 22, 2007
just before you hit record whatever way you have it ( landscape/ vertical ) make sure the camera options are on the top of which ever-way you are holding it, - keep in mind if they are set on vertical and you already pressed the record button they will not switch over to landscape. - so make sure the options are on the top of which everway your holding it, and they will come out they way you intended to capture them.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Ich

Not sure what you mean about the camera options being on the "top."

When I hold my phone with the home button on the bottom, the camera controls (small picture, record button, and photo or movie selection) are just above the button. Turning the phone landscape and those options stay on the same part of the screen near the home button. The rotate 90 when you turn the phone, but are never "on top."

ich0pz

Bronze
Nov 22, 2007
Sorry for the misunderstanding, but the controls that are on top for me when I turn my phone in ither landscape or vertical, ( the camera flash option and option to switch from front back camera to front ) this will determine how the video comes out, and top and bottom, but keep in mind when u already press recording in vertical and go landscape , your video will be sideways . Hope I made sense?

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I gotchya! The flash control and stuff. When at the top determines the orientation. Makes sense. I was thinking of the record button when I read your post.