Video out from iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

markr

Jul 13, 2007
Using an inexpensive "Accurian" A/V cable from Radio Shack, I'm able to output both audio and video from the 30G iPod to the nav screen in my Infiniti M35 (it came with auxiliary jacks built into the console).

The cable seems to fit the iPhone -- audio works fine -- but I'm unable to push (pull?) the video. The iPod has a "TV out" choice that I don't see on the iPhone. Has anyone experimented with video out to a car's screen, or any external screen? Could it simply be the cable or is the phone just not intended to "share"?

:confused:

Mac Insomniac

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Using an inexpensive "Accurian" A/V cable from Radio Shack, I'm able to output both audio and video from the 30G iPod to the nav screen in my Infiniti M35 (it came with auxiliary jacks built into the console).

The cable seems to fit the iPhone -- audio works fine -- but I'm unable to push (pull?) the video. The iPod has a "TV out" choice that I don't see on the iPhone. Has anyone experimented with video out to a car's screen, or any external screen? Could it simply be the cable or is the phone just not intended to "share"?

This will probably be addressed in the future through an Apple update. I look forward to this feature also. Thats what attracts me so much to this phone / Apple is the updates to the OS and when leopard hits this phone will probably do a little transformation in a good way!

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Depends, does the video iPod use a chipset to do NTSC/PAL video output, or is it all software based?

I haven't gone back and checked the video iPod teardowns to compare to the iPhone teardown to know if video output will ever be possible with software only.

If there's a chipset for NTSC/PAL in a video iPod (the PlayerPortal or Broadcom chip?), then you can almost bet that you won't be able to do it on the iPhone.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA

I was hoping for video out, as well. But, with the addition of the telephone microphone on Apple's headset, I think you won't be able to use that port for video. However, there may be an option using the larger port on the bottom of the iPhone. I've seen at least one device that uses that port on the iPod with Video to output video to a larger screen.

Would be nice.

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
The iPhone has been completely opened up and checked to ever miliinch.. there is no way it can do video out...stop clinging on to false hope. You don't have to lie to yourself to make you like the phone... There are tons of articles on this. There is no update Apple is going to do to make the iPhone transform and somehow get a video out compatibility...that is the craziest thing i've heard.

here is a article on it:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/iPhone/no-video-output-on-iphone-274064.php

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007

markr

Jul 13, 2007
Video out, indeed!

Odd, isn't it, how reliable sources sometimes aren't? In the latest iPhone update, video out like the G5 iPod is now available and will work with the 30-pin base cable with either composite or component video on the other end.

Gotta love Apple... If you think it can be done, they've probably already thought of it too.

:laugh2:

4U2NV

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Odd, isn't it, how reliable sources sometimes aren't? In the latest iPhone update, video out like the G5 iPod is now available and will work with the 30-pin base cable with either composite or component video on the other end.

Gotta love Apple... If you think it can be done, they've probably already thought of it too.

:laugh2:
I so agree. I think it is so funny how somebody can be just so absolutely possetive that there is no video out and even act a little negative toward other iPhone owners just to be CLOWNED when they release the TV VIDEO OUT. Yes, it has happened and thank you very much Apple. I'll have my cable on Wednesday. :)

Mac Migs

Jul 11, 2007
I so agree. I think it is so funny how somebody can be just so absolutely possetive that there is no video out and even act a little negative toward other iPhone owners just to be CLOWNED when they release the TV VIDEO OUT. Yes, it has happened and thank you very much Apple. I'll have my cable on Wednesday. :)

Did you pre-order your cable from Apple...? Did you get the composite or component cable...? Let us know how it works out for you. I have a composite cable on order along with a universal dock. I may purchase the component cable later. I thought the cables from Apple were still a few weeks away from shipping. I hope I get notification soon that mine has shipped.

4U2NV

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Did you pre-order your cable from Apple...? Did you get the composite or component cable...? Let us know how it works out for you. I have a composite cable on order along with a universal dock. I may purchase the component cable later. I thought the cables from Apple were still a few weeks away from shipping. I hope I get notification soon that mine has shipped.
I preordered the composite cable last week and it shippd on Friday. I actually still have to wait for the universal doc though. That won't be here until around the 20th. But I will post my experience. There is another thread on this subject and somebody has posted their experience which included pictures.

Mac Migs

Jul 11, 2007
I preordered the composite cable last week and it shippd on Friday. I actually still have to wait for the universal doc though. That won't be here until around the 20th. But I will post my experience. There is another thread on this subject and somebody has posted their experience which included pictures.

I ordered my composite cable last week so hopefully I'll be getting notification soon that my cable has shipped as well. Is your cable coming from China..?

4U2NV

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
I received my composite cable today and it works great. I thought I had to wait for my doc, but it plugs directly into the iPhone with nothing else needed to purchase. I plugged it into my LCD monitor but haven't hooked up the audio yet. I just wanted to verify the video. Took all of 5 seconds to get it to work.

Mac Migs

Jul 11, 2007
I received my composite cable today and it works great. I thought I had to wait for my doc, but it plugs directly into the iPhone with nothing else needed to purchase. I plugged it into my LCD monitor but haven't hooked up the audio yet. I just wanted to verify the video. Took all of 5 seconds to get it to work.
Do you happen to know where your cable shipped from..? Was it within the U.S. or China...?

markr

Jul 13, 2007
It works!

My composite cable arrived today as well. I had ordered it on Monday and the Apple Store indicated that it might take 1-2 weeks. Needless to say I was surprised since shipping was free.

I plugged it in to my car's auxiliary jacks and, voila! audio was super and video perfect on the nav screen (for passengers' viewing pleasure only, of course). Now I need to figure how to use the USB power cord with an auto power port adapter. (Has anyone seen something like that?)

As for point of origin, the package's return address was Elk Grove, CA but according to FedEx tracking, it originated in Anchorage, AK. That would seem to indicate an air shipment from the Far East.

:):):)

Mac Migs

Jul 11, 2007
As for point of origin, the package's return address was Elk Grove, CA but according to FedEx tracking, it originated in Anchorage, AK. That would seem to indicate an air shipment from the Far East.
Hmmmm... I ordered my composite cable from the Apple Store on Sat, Sept 29th and haven't got any notification that it shipped yet.

If your package shows originating from Alaska, then it more than likely came from China. That's how my iPhone came to me as well as my iPod touch. Oh well... hopefully my cable will ship soon... :(

markr

Jul 13, 2007
Shipping problem?

It seems to me that something may be amiss in Apple's shipping network. My order was acknowledged right away still indicating that cable could take up to two weeks to arrive. The next morning (yesterday) I got an e-mail saying that the two items were being shipped separately. When I clicked on the "order status" link in the e-mail, it showed I had no orders in the pipeline. The cable arrived today as I noted, but the other item did not. While the Apple Store continues to show no order, the FedEx tracking system shows the second item having been picked up in Bloomingdale, CA due to arrive on the 13th!?

All of which is to say, I'd suggest you call Apple's 800 # and see what's up. Good luck. It's stil worth the wait...