video out to TV

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

roslee7

Nov 23, 2007
i have some converted dvd movie in my iPhone and i wanted to dv out to my tv ? is it possible? . is very useful when i travel overseas and i can watch in hotel room. I use to have ipod video and the cable and it works. anyone know the solution ?

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
i have some converted dvd movie in my iPhone and i wanted to dv out to my tv ? is it possible? . is very useful when i travel overseas and i can watch in hotel room. I use to have ipod video and the cable and it works. anyone know the solution ?
You have no choice but to buy a new video cable or new universal dock from the Apple store. The iPhones and the new iPods no longer support video out through the headphone jack - they play video out only through the bottom jack (where you recharge). Also, the new iPods as well as the iPhones will only work with new cables or universal docks - these cables/docks have some sort of "chip" in them, and the ipods/iPhones look for this chip. They will only play video if it sees the chip. Trust me, I have dozens of universal docks and video cables, and none of them work. I could only get my iPhone and new iPod to work when I got new universal docks and new video cables from my local Apple store. Very infuriating.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Apple offers two cables. One with component and another with composite. What really burns me is they cost the same. I don't really know why anyone would buy component cables since the quality loss is in the video encoding, not the quality of the cable. Anyway, choose as you may.

Joe

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Apple offers two cables. One with component and another with composite. What really burns me is they cost the same. I don't really know why anyone would buy component cables since the quality loss is in the video encoding, not the quality of the cable. Anyway, choose as you may.

Joe
With any analog output signal, it matters what type of cable you use. Now, I don't know if it will make a marked difference when it comes to the iPhone, but the signal delivered is significantly better when using component rather than composite. It's the reason why you can use component for high definition, but not composite.

Since he wants to play movies from the iPhone, the last thing he wants to do is lose even more quality from the iPhone to the tv, in addition to the encoding process.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
With any analog output signal, it matters what type of cable you use. Now, I don't know if it will make a marked difference when it comes to the iPhone, but the signal delivered is significantly better when using component rather than composite. It's the reason why you can use component for high definition, but not composite.

Since he wants to play movies from the iPhone, the last thing he wants to do is lose even more quality from the iPhone to the tv, in addition to the encoding process.
Sure, I'm aware of all of that, but still, sending super compressed video isn't going to make that much of a difference. Of course, I'm not going to go buy both and try, so maybe I should shutup. :)

Joe