Video player and video streaming app

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by avin7000, Nov 28, 2013.

1. avin7000

avin7000 Member
    Bronze

Hi guys. I am looking for two apps, one for video streaming from my local computer and another for to play different format videos on my iPad. If there is any one app which can do both then that would be cool. Free apps would be great, but wouldn't mind paying it either.

Currently I have set my mind on Plex for streaming and AvPlayer HD for video player, after reading few reviews. Before making the final call I am posting here for your advice.

Thank you!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Air Video can handle both of those. It's $3 for the unlimited app. The free version only allows you to have three videos in the library at a time, if I remember correctly. I use it all the time for live conversion of non-itunes-friendly videos on my iPhone /iPad and from there I use AirPlay to play them on my TV through the Apple TV.

3. avin7000

avin7000 Member
    Bronze

Since I have an iPad I think I have to go with Air Video HD.

If it can play then why convert?

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

So you can use them in iTunes and put them in your videos folder on your iPhone if necessary.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't have to if the iPad can play it. There are a lot of formats that won't directly play on an iPad - and that's where Air Video comes in. You can completely bypass iTunes without wasting time converting in Handbrake. This does a live conversion in the background as it's streaming from your computer to your iPad.

You have the option of live conversion or converting and saving it to the computer and syncing it to your iPad for offline use. I always just do the live conversion.

6. avin7000

avin7000 Member
    Bronze

but why convert at all? Since AvPlayerHD can play everything right? or does it also converts in the background?

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So you don't have to take the time to transfer them to the iPad and so they don't take up any storage space. Streaming is like watching a YouTube video; you don't have to store it on the iPad first.

8. avin7000

avin7000 Member
    Bronze

Nope, you are not getting my question. Why convert MKV at all, why it cannot stream without conversion? I mentioned AvPlayerHD because it is able to play MKVs, thats why I asked does it also converts them in background.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You have to have an app to stream .mkv files or you have to convert them first. Apple doesn't allow them to be played directly (without an app or conversion).

10. avin7000

avin7000 Member
    Bronze

So is there any app like that ? Which can stream videos, play them directly without conversion.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, but live conversion is done instantaneously in the background while it streams. You don't have to wait and you won't notice it. It's just like streaming Netflix.

12. avin7000

avin7000 Member
    Bronze

Yup, I know it is done in background. But why convert at all, instead if it could play directly it could save CPU thus battery.

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

If you want the video in the stock video section, you convert to mp4 or m4v.

14. avin7000

avin7000 Member
    Bronze

No I don't want that. I am fine playing in 3rd party app.

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I was just answering your question, "But why convert at all?"

16. avin7000

avin7000 Member
    Bronze

^oh okay...

17. AppleFan123

AppleFan123 New Member

I've tried AVPlayer HD, it's good but I didn't really like its UI that much. I tried a lot of other video players too like HD Player, PlayerXtreme, but nPlayer is best in my opinion. Maybe you can try that. :)