Video recording on iPhone 3G

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
Please don't jump all over me for asking this but was the update supposed to enable the 3G to be able to record video? Maybe I just thought I read it somewhere but I could have sworn...:mad:

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Please don't jump all over me for asking this but was the update supposed to enable the 3G to be able to record video? Maybe I just thought I read it somewhere but I could have sworn...:mad:
No. That will only be available with the new hardware for the iPhone 3G S. Sorry.

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
Thanks for the response. Really wish I had read the fine print (LOL) before I left Sprint/Palm in April. Wasn't aware that a new iPhone was coming out or I would have waited and gotten the new iPhone or the Pre. Though the 3g is a "nice phone" there are a lot of functions missing that are pretty standard for other phones that are not supposed to be this "sophisticated and cutting edge." Lack of MMS, turn by turn navigation and video recording is kinda pitiful...

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Thanks for the response. Really wish I had read the fine print (LOL) before I left Sprint/Palm in April. Wasn't aware that a new iPhone was coming out or I would have waited and gotten the new iPhone or the Pre. Though the 3g is a "nice phone" there are a lot of functions missing that are pretty standard for other phones that are not supposed to be this "sophisticated and cutting edge." Lack of MMS, turn by turn navigation and video recording is kinda pitiful...
MMS will come when AT&T has got their ducks in a row, some rumor as early as tomorrow, I'm betting sometime in August, turn by turn navigation will be out very soon through the app store and well...it didn't have video when you bought it, but you will probably be able to get it with jailbreaking.

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
I do understand that it didn't have video when I got it. I will willing to live with that thinking that it would possibly be included with the update... but the MMS and turn by turn navigation would standard with all of my Treo phones and Sprint. I thought that iPhone was way more advanced than this. So I guess to get up to speed with other "smartphones" I will have to shell out more money for the 3rd Generation iPhone. So, since I have only had my phone for two months with a two year contract, when will I be able to move up into the major leagues with the purchase/upgrade to the 3GS?

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
I do understand that it didn't have video when I got it. I will willing to live with that thinking that it would possibly be included with the update... but the MMS and turn by turn navigation was standard with all of my Treo phones and Sprint. I thought that iPhone was way more advanced than this. So I guess to get up to speed with other "smartphones" I will have to shell out more money for the 3rd Generation iPhone. So, since I have only had my phone for two months with a two year contract, when will I be able to move up into the major leagues with the purchase/upgrade to the 3GS?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Like I said, turn by turn is included in the update, you just have to wait for developers to put the apps in the app store, one is already there I believe. MMS, will be there when AT&T is ready, that would include the next gen iPhone as well. All you don't have with this update is video.

I thought that iPhone was way more advanced than this.
It is, it's always been capable (the 3G anyway, V1 didn't have GPS so no turn by turn), Apple just left them out. Steve Jobs thought MMS was a fad that would die out, who wants video from the crappy camera on the iPhone 3G, no clue why they disallowed turn by turn until now, but the phone was capable.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
You can get a video recorder soon enough :)

Dev-Teams working on the Jailbreak for 3.0 it will be released soon. Once your handset is jailbroken you can install cycorder <---- awesome video recorder. You won't be able to send the videos via email unfortunately but you can ssh into your handset and copy and paste onto your desktop :)

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
You can get a video recorder soon enough :)

Dev-Teams working on the Jailbreak for 3.0 it will be released soon. Once your handset is jailbroken you can install cycorder <---- awesome video recorder. You won't be able to send the videos via email unfortunately but you can ssh into your handset and copy and paste onto your desktop :)
Yep. Cycorder works like a dream. And it's FREE!