video resolution

tizzle

Bronze
Oct 20, 2007
i don't know if it's just me but the video resolution on my phone is terrible. anyone know what gives? i don't expect it to be HD but it should't be all blocky looking.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
i don't know if it's just me but the video resolution on my phone is terrible. anyone know what gives? i don't expect it to be HD but it should't be all blocky looking.
Do all the videos on your screen act the same way? Then you may have a display problem.
Your resolution should be 480-by-320-pixel (resolution at 163 ppi), which give a very crisp image. My videos are flawless.

tizzle

Bronze
Oct 20, 2007
acctually I did feel kind of dumb posting this. I did notice some videos are clearer than others. I guess it's the recording quality that is flawed. however I will check the resolution on my phone thanks.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
acctually I did feel kind of dumb posting this. I did notice some videos are clearer than others. I guess it's the recording quality that is flawed. however I will check the resolution on my phone thanks.
When you say you are watching video, what type, your own? Or uTube? If it is uTube the quality is not good over edge, and is only good quality if you are on wifi.

Try downloading a free podcast like news or something from iTunes.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I'm talking about youtube. how can youtube know if i'm on EDGE or wifi?
Because utube knows if you are on edge and it will stream a lower quality video so that it will load faster on the edge. Trust me and read elsewhere, when you are on wifi it streams it in fast and the higher quality video.

If I am at home on my wifi = hi quality. If I am away from home on edge, I look at the same video, it looks like crap.

tizzle

Bronze
Oct 20, 2007
learn something new everyday. thanks for sharing guys. I'll check out the same videos when I get home. is there even a way to check the resolution settings? I've looked all over the place.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
learn something new everyday. thanks for sharing guys. I'll check out the same videos when I get home. is there even a way to check the resolution settings? I've looked all over the place.
I'm not sure what you're asking. Whatever movie you load will display at a maximum resolution of 480x320, which is what the screen displays all the time (a constant). If your video file has a lower resolution, you'll see the "blocks" you were talking about. If it has a higher resolution (say 704x304), it will be displayed at the lower resolution of the iPhone.
Only your computer will know the resolution of whatever video file you're loading.

tizzle

Bronze
Oct 20, 2007
Understood. I thought there was a way to set the display resolution on my phone. But now I know you're talking about the resolution of the video.