Video Ringtones?

icecream

May 30, 2007
Im assuming that we can use the ipod songs as a ringtone, but does anyone know about using videos?

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Im assuming that we can use the ipod songs as a ringtone, but does anyone know about using videos?
We still don't know if you will be able to use songs in your library as ringtones. It seems like a no-brainer, but the last interview I read with Jobs where he talked about ringtones, he said they were still considering it. He implied that there might be copyright issues. Since other multimedia phones have this feature, I don't see why the iPhone would not.

icecream

May 30, 2007
ya, other phone companies (Verizon) charges customers for ringtones, but ive been with cingular for a while and ive been able to freely transfer songs to my phone and use em as a ringtone. from what i know, cingular isn't too big on charging for ringtones. its puzzling me how iTunes is trying to make money off another thing.. like.. is the ringtones section only gonna be for the iPhone?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
ya, other phone companies (Verizon) charges customers for ringtones, but ive been with cingular for a while and ive been able to freely transfer songs to my phone and use em as a ringtone. from what i know, cingular isn't too big on charging for ringtones. its puzzling me how iTunes is trying to make money off another thing.. like.. is the ringtones section only gonna be for the iPhone?
With the right software you can create and add your own ringtones to most GSM phones. Luckily Cingular/At&t doesn't cripple the phone's OBEX capabilities like Verizon, but if Apple wants to start selling ringtones through iTunes, then I can understand if we won't be able to put our own songs on the iPhone like other Cingular/At&t models.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
...if Apple wants to start selling ringtones through iTunes, then I can understand if we won't be able to put our own songs on the iPhone like other Cingular/At&t models.
Hopefully Apple will handle it the same way they do music on an iPod. If you don't have it, buy it from us. If you have your own, that's OK too.

mag

Jun 3, 2007
Video ringtone... I think it's one of the most needless thing that ever putted into a mobile, but maybe Apple will put it in the iPhone.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Video ringtone... I think it's one of the most needless thing that ever putted into a mobile, but maybe Apple will put it in the iPhone.
I would have to agree with this. While it would be kinda cool to have a really funny video clip or something, I think that it might use too much battery life and we're still not entirely sure how that situation is going to work out.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I would have to agree with this. While it would be kinda cool to have a really funny video clip or something, I think that it might use too much battery life and we're still not entirely sure how that situation is going to work out.
While a video might be too much, I do like the ringer picture IDs just in case the phone is set to silent. On my Motorolas, I can save a picture to each phone number so when someone calls I see their picture pop up on the outer lcd. That will be the case with the iPhone as well.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
"........ITS PEANUTBUTTERJELLYTIME!PEANUTBUTTERJELLYTIME!"no?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
While a video might be too much, I do like the ringer picture IDs just in case the phone is set to silent. On my Motorolas, I can save a picture to each phone number so when someone calls I see their picture pop up on the outer lcd. That will be the case with the iPhone as well.
I would definitely like the ringer id feature. It took me a while to find out how to set up ringer id's with my current krzr so hopefully it won't be too difficult of an issue with the iPhone.

Lob

Bronze
Jan 22, 2007
Glastonbury, CT
So I guess you'll have to keep the phone in landscape mode in order for it to ring.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
"........ITS PEANUTBUTTERJELLYTIME!PEANUTBUTTERJELLYTIME!"no?

ahhhh this would be the best video clip ever to use! I busted out laughing when I read it because I can picture it perfectly. Gotta love Family Guy.

mc751n

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
Nobody knows for sure yet. You might just have a few generic type ringtone choices.
I'd die. One of the things I hated about Verizon was that you couldn't use music that you had on your computer as ringtones (through bluetooth, usb). While all my friends who had Cingular could use anything they wanted as their ringtones/alerts/etc. I'm really hoping we can do what we want when it comes to ringtones!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I'd die. One of the things I hated about Verizon was that you couldn't use music that you had on your computer as ringtones (through bluetooth, usb). While all my friends who had Cingular could use anything they wanted as their ringtones/alerts/etc. I'm really hoping we can do what we want when it comes to ringtones!
I agree that having the ability to create and add custom ringtones (Cingular and T-Mobile) is much better than the handcuffing that Verizon and Sprint do to their phones.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Lol almost everyother post in all these threads are you cols. Are you just clicking NEW POSTS everytime? I don't think video ringtones would be a good idea. How would you answer the call? Press the screen once to turn off ringtone press it again to answer?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Lol almost everyother post in all these threads are you cols. Are you just clicking NEW POSTS everytime? I don't think video ringtones would be a good idea. How would you answer the call? Press the screen once to turn off ringtone press it again to answer?
Well, why would I check old posts?:)

I don't know how a video ringtone would work either.

icecream

May 30, 2007
I don't know how a video ringtone would work either.
im guessing its like a normal ringtone that turns off when you answer it? im just basing all this on what i hear the newest phones in Asia can do

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
ahhhh this would be the best video clip ever to use! I busted out laughing when I read it because I can picture it perfectly. Gotta love Family Guy.
Peanut Butter Jelly Time was around years before Family Guy.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Peanut Butter Jelly Time was around years before Family Guy.
THANKYOU! Most people don't know that. It was actually a song which was taken and a flash was created.