Video Streaming w/Qik

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
So what does everyone think of the pre-review of the Qik App? Video Streaming w/the iPhone...what's next, iSight on the iPhone? ...now that would be hot!

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Well, Qik is the main reason for some to jailbreak. It would be cool to see it on the App Store.

What's next? Winter/Summerboard? :laugh2:

wd_stroke

Bronze
Apr 12, 2008
QIK is coming to the AppStore.

Kevin Rose just recently posted a video of the Qik application for the iPhone but what makes it special is that it’s a future version from the App Store and not the Jailbroken version. To get you up to speed. Qik is currently only available by jailbreaking and it allows you to stream video live over Wifi or 3G connection. No word on price but we’re expecting it to be free.

Source: Apple iPhone School

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
QIK is coming to the AppStore.

Kevin Rose just recently posted a video of the Qik application for the iPhone but what makes it special is that it’s a future version from the App Store and not the Jailbroken version. To get you up to speed. Qik is currently only available by jailbreaking and it allows you to stream video live over Wifi or 3G connection. No word on price but we’re expecting it to be free.

Source: Apple iPhone School

well, it looks like we need some serious clarification on this

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I hope it does come to the appstore...and for free because I don't pay for stuff lol

oakie

Bronze
Oct 18, 2008
Las Vegas
www.revtarded.com
Qik is coming to the app store, but the only thing holding it up right now is Qik's support of using 3g to connect to the service. AT&T doesn't think their network will be able to support a large influx of users streaming video via 3g... when in honesty, AT&T is figuring out how to monetize the situation also. the end result may be Qik removing 3g functionality and going at it wifi only, although that would destroy any chance of Qik's widespread uptake for AT&T, specifically iPhone, users.

the other option is for Qik to redesign their app to allow for local storing of video files, but it's questionable if they can afford Apple's royalties for Quicktime as they are a startup right now in a depressed economy. or if they even care to do that since they're focused on generating ad revenue to support their operation and keep the apps free.

Cycorder is looking like a viable option right now... the video quality is excellent and allows for local storage. the only thing holding it back is lack of audio for now.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
but cycorder isn't in the appstore right?

Cloverfield

Bronze
Jan 16, 2008
UK, Kent
www.CloverfieldMovieForum.com
Apple is a joke. There are lots of phones now that can do almost everything the iPhone can do PLUS video record. If Apple wants to step up the game, they need to release the video camera SOON. Not next year. Need an update and need MMS and possibly cut and paste.

Spikey911

Bronze
Oct 26, 2008
I tried Qik, and I find it difficult to use on the PC end...

The website is not constructed very well and I find it difficult to find live streams... I thought the main purpose of the program was to watch live streams, but there are not many available.

Maybe I don't understand the concept, but I don't see this taking off.

On a side note, I never liked Kevin Rose... :)