Videos better quality through iMessage when taken with Camera app?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by rollinfromhell, Sep 12, 2013.

1. rollinfromhell

Gold

I noticed something maybe I'm slow but I don't see any posts here regarding this, videos taken in the iMessage app seem to be pretty good compared to normal MMS: but only 480p.

When I send an already taken video through the camera app or select it through iMessage and take it first, the quality seems to be greatly improved to around 720p if not better. Anyone else notice this?

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Video isn't compressed as much when it's sent via iMessage vs normal MMS.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Also, it doesn't matter if the video is taken in the messaging app or not. They are better quality when they are sent through iMessages (opposed to being sent through a carrier) regardless of how they were taken.

4. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

One reasons why I like iOS over Android. With Android you must choose mms before recording a video other wise you can't attach it to send as mms and the video is terrible I miss iMessage

5. rollinfromhell

Gold

I'm not talking about through normal texting. I am referring to sending videos through imessage with the camera icon there, it seems to send in only 480p. When I select a video I recorded with the camera app, and select the prerecorded video through imessage and send it, it seems to send in 720p or better.

I'm not sure what changed, but I don't remember it doing that. Also when you send the higher quality version, the video becomes a wider thumbnail in the text field as well

6. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

Mist be your phone.only.I'm.on att recorded a video in 1080p and sent it.to a iPhone 4 through Imessage and they received it in HD no compression lost maybe the receiver isn't in WiFi are maybe only on cell towers at the time so its still compressing it.

7. rollinfromhell

Gold

I'm not sending through mms at all guys lol. I don't think people are understand where I'm getting at. regular cell phone quality is like 140p, imessage through the texting app itself is around 480p. it looks GOOD, but not great. When I use an already shot 1080 video, it sends in 1080p, no matter the connection and as long as i'm on iMessage. Just never realized it cause when I send an iMessage i normally shoot through the iMessage app itself (which i believe converts to 480p to compress, even over wifi).

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So take videos through the camera app instead of the messaging app. Problem solved, right? I've never taken a video through the messaging app and this is an excellent reason to not start doing it now.

9. rollinfromhell

Gold

That wasn't what this thread was about, nor was I asking for help. It was just an observation but apparently I'm the only one that noticed this or caught on.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, I didn't realize it did that. Thanks for pointing it out.

11. rollinfromhell

Gold

No worries! I miss your Deb picture btw. I always remembered that. Uma Thurman is totally amazing though.

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Agreed. I always shoot videos outside the messaging app.

13. rollinfromhell

Gold

It was never specified and I hardly come on here other than before launch, so thank you for specifying. Just blown away it actually sends in that high of quality xD