Viewing these forums via iPhone

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I think it's just me but I'm really starting to hate using the mobile version for the iPhone of these forums. Is there anyway I can view the full version?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I don't care for the mobile version either.
Log into the mobile site and scroll to the very botton. In the left corner you will see "old template". This will get you to the real forum.:p

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I think it's just me but I'm really starting to hate using the mobile version for the iPhone of these forums. Is there anyway I can view the full version?
I totally agree! I was a tremendous crybaby about the "new" format. It is not very easy to see everything like the regular one...
At the very bottom left of your EIC homepage you will see a "old version" button. Push it and all is well.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I wish I had known this before;)
-Cause one thing I hated was when you would check your usercp and wanted click on a subscribed thread with more than 3+ pages such as "Test post, Please don't read" it would make me start at the very first page then have to go page to page until I finally got to the latest post:mad:

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I wish I had known this before;)
-Cause one thing I hated was when you would check your usercp and wanted click on a subscribed thread with more than 3+ pages such as "Test post, Please don't read" it would make me start at the very first page then have to go page to page until I finally got to the latest post:mad:
that's right, PDS. Just another example why I prefer the regular version...

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I also hate how u cant edit....i suggest they remove the mobile version.

For lack of better words... it ******* sucks. *aye Perdon*

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
btw I hit old template all the time and it doesn't do anything. Chris fir the sake of many kill the mobile version. Seriously what the hell is the point of a mobile version when our phones can render the regular vers perfectly.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
btw I hit old template all the time and it doesn't do anything.
What seems to work for me is to sign on using the mobile version and then go to the "real" version. If I don't do it this way I always get kicked off and have to sign again.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
btw I hit old template all the time and it doesn't do anything. Chris fir the sake of many kill the mobile version. Seriously what the hell is the point of a mobile version when our phones can render the regular vers perfectly.

Ok. You have a problem. I had this problem as well. Several posts about it. What you need to do is restore. I know that sucks but the old version will work fine for you after a restore. Been there. Done that.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Well eventhough it wasn't very well received...
-We should all thank Chris for atleast attempting a mobile version ya kno :laugh2:

Especially when he is in charge of many other forums under the "everything" name ;) Most other forum admin's wouldn't take the time to do so ya kno lol!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i think the idea was for an improved interface.... bigger buttons, less pictures to load, etc.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Well eventhough it wasn't very well received...
-We should all thank Chris for atleast attempting a mobile version ya kno :laugh2:

Especially when he is in charge of many other forums under the "everything" name ;) Most other forum admin's wouldn't take the time to do so ya kno lol!
You are absolutely right. There are probably lots of people that like the mobile site and I guess I don't mean to knock it so much as just the fact that it doesn't work for me. I like the "old" version because for me it is easier to navigate and you can at least see the newest post right off.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok. You have a problem. I had this problem as well. Several posts about it. What you need to do is restore. I know that sucks but the old version will work fine for you after a restore. Been there. Done that.
Didn't see my fix for this? Under Bossprefs or SBprefs, go to "more", "extras", and "Fix User Dir Permissions".... that solved it for me. My cookies get accepted fine now and it remembers that I want to only use the classic site template.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Didn't see my fix for this? Under Bossprefs or SBprefs, go to "more", "extras", and "Fix User Dir Permissions".... that solved it for me. My cookies get accepted fine now and it remembers that I want to only use the classic site template.
Ok. Great find. No, I didn't see this. Glad you got this corrected.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Thankx psych.

I wasn't going to restore, and rejailbreak just to view a site.

I'd rather Chris just take down the entire mobile version. Its pointless..our phones are capable of running a proper site. Its not like we're getting on here using a blackjack or something.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The fact is some people like the iPhone version. Considering how easy it is (once you fix your cookies) to continually use the original site if you like (which does work great on the iPhone, imo), I see no reason to do away with the other version.

Perhaps a splash screen for new users to choose would be best, though. Newcomers may not even know about how easy it is to navigate the classic site layout on the iPhone.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Yes that would very well fix everything. A splash page to give a choice so ppl can choose what version to view.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
If I take the mobile version down, I've got people complaining they cannot access the mobile template.

There is a fix for all this and that is to remove the "force detection" script and set up links "somewhere" that allows people to easily choose their preferred format.

BTW, there is no "desktop" version. There are two mobile versions. One is similar to the desktop verison, but optimized for the iPhone. The other is of course the lightweight mobile version.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Oh and I'll get this done in the next day or so.;)