Virtual Keyboard bothering me... thinking of starting to use my Blackberry Curve

ibodybuild

Bronze
Sep 21, 2008
I am in this dilemma of deciding whether to keep using my iPhone 3G or to switch to using my curve. See the thing is is that the iPhones virtual keyboard kind of annoys me, but besides that I really like everything else about the phone. The Curve 8300 I have lying around, I love the keyboard on this thing, but things like the browser and lack of FULL html email display kind of sucks...

So what should I do, stick with using my iPhone 3G or start using my Curve 8300 again...

Jul 29, 2008
Winter Park, FL
I found the keyboard took some getting used to. The predictive text works pretty well most of the time, you have to trust it a lot to be successful. It will screw up abbreviations and such, you just have to watch. If it is a finger size problem, I could see that as a major issue. I think a man like Mike Ditka could never use this phone's keyboard. His fingers are twice the diameter of mine.

Stick with the 3G if you can, it blows away the Curve in so many ways.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I too came from the curve and I have to say, the iPhone's keyboard is fantastic. As the other responder said, "trust" the keyboard. I can bang out long emails as fast, or faster than I could on my curve. Just relax and let the fingers fly, when you look to see what you typed; its usually spot on.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
Personally, I love the iPhone keyboard. Easy to use...and I'm tons faster than with any BlackBerry I've owned. To me, HTML e-mail, actual web browser and other apps make iPhone worth keeping, even if I hated the keyboard.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I had major problems with the keyboard at first. It took about a week to get used to it. Once it learns how you type and you trust the predictive text I think you'll be happy with it.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I think you should use the BB curve.
I will give you $100 for your 3G?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The big question here is: How long have you been typing on an iPhone? The learning curve is worth it, I think... I can type 40+ WPM consistently now. I could never move that fast on a physical keyboard without autocorrect.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
The big question here is: How long have you been typing on an iPhone? The learning curve is worth it, I think... I can type 40+ WPM consistently now. I could never move that fast on a physical keyboard without autocorrect.
I agree. Someone actually wanted to have a contest on who could type faster, I think that they were anti iPhone. It was no contest. I HATED it at first, using on finger, then I got used to it. The key point for me was learning on where your fingers hit the screen. Once you get that you will love the type on the iPhone!

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
if it wasn't for predictive text then this message would looks like this:
if it wanst for perdective text theen shis meesage would look like this

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The iPhone keyboard certainly takes a bit of practice to perfect. I type much faster on the iPhone than I did on any of the other smart phones and leaps and bounds faster than I did using that T9 garbage (which I loves when I was using it). Give it a while longer and just try practicing typing anything within the Notes App.

Oct 13, 2008
I had the curve before I got my iPhone, the adjustment was awkward to say the least. I am no typing master, but I don't think I could go back to the curve. There is only so much Brick Breaker one girl can stand!

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
The predictive text drives me bonkers... wish there was a way to disable it.

ibodybuild

Bronze
Sep 21, 2008
I've been using the phone for over a month now and still am having problems with the keyboard.. everytime I type something on it, it makes an error!

2 things bothering me on the iPhone...

Keyboard:
The keyboard on the iPhone is crap for me, it's a bother to use. Whereas the curve works very well for me.

Battery Life:
iPhone battery life is terrible. Curve battery life is leaps and bounds better than the iPhones battery, it lasts days without charging.

I like using instant messaging and currently have BeeJiveIM for the iPhone... but had it for the Curve as well and find that using it on the curve you get instant notifications where as with the iPhone you don't. When is Apple going to release the "push" notification feature? who knows!

Anymore opinions on what I should do?

Thanks

newport11

Oct 21, 2008
in the same boat

I am in this dilemma of deciding whether to keep using my iPhone 3G or to switch to using my curve. See the thing is is that the iPhones virtual keyboard kind of annoys me, but besides that I really like everything else about the phone. The Curve 8300 I have lying around, I love the keyboard on this thing, but things like the browser and lack of FULL html email display kind of sucks...

So what should I do, stick with using my iPhone 3G or start using my Curve 8300 again...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am going through the same thing. The keyboard speed is killing me on the iPhone. Maybe I/we are using it wrong ? (talk about fat-fingering it)

What I'm hoping for is a software update that improves the recognition ability. Why should I type in 'tomorrow' each time...why doesn't it recognize such a long word.

Perhaps others have some ideas. Would love to hear em.....

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
If Apple would put an update on a landscape option to text then it would be way easier.

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Keyboard does take getting used to. I used to hit the wrong key a lot more, but way better after a while. I like the predictive text on one hand, but sometimes find it a nuisance. I was in a hurry and sent a text and didn't catch that it replaced it with a word that I don't think I had ever used, so the message half didn't make sense. Then when I think it should obviously suggest a word, it doesn't.

newport11

Oct 21, 2008
thanks dodger -- I hear ya - you can key in landscape style when entering in websites in the browser line but you cannot do the same for texting and/or email keying. Maybe that's coming/pending? Fat fingers be damned!

ibodybuild

Bronze
Sep 21, 2008
Right now, I'm leaning to using my Curve just because it of my use. I'm using it for mostly emails / BeeJiveIM / Facebook which I can all use on the Curve, but with the physical keyboard with which I don't make errors and can type fast on.

I'm honestly finding it stressful typing on the iPhone and I think if it's bothering me that much than I have to switch. Most of the apps on the iPhone are useless to me, the curve's battery is way better and lasts a lot longer than the iPhone battery, i can get push email for free, the app "BeeJiveIM" works in the background on the curve where I can get instant notifications, this is not the case with the same app on the iPhone... Now that I look at it, the curve is clearly a better phone for me right now. I'm do for an upgrade next year and maybe they'll improve the iPhone for the better, but for now I don't think the iPhone will cut it for me.

I'm looking to sell my iPhone 3g 8GB.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I also came from a Blackberry Curve ... The iPhone does take some time to get used to. It took me longer than I expected, however I am much faster now than I used to be on my curve.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I thought that I might be the only one in this boat of having an iPhone 3G and using another device. I have two lines originally I had a work line which was a Moto Q9 Global and a iPhone 3G which was my personal line. More and more I have been carrying around my Q9 and my iPhone has been left at home. There are things that I miss about my iPhone, I liked Facebook and Beejive was a cool app(aside from not having instant notification) but I seem to text a lot and when I say a lot I mean 6000 - 8000 a month and the virtual keyboard wasn't cutting it anymore.

The other issue was that when I would get into a huge chat either via IM or text that the battery on my iPhone would plummet to almost nothing in no time at all. I wasn't the only person to say this either, a buddy of mine and I sent some text for about 2 hours one night and both our iPhones were around the 20% mark by the end of the conversation.

Another issue I have is that I can't get my work email on it. My company has said that they have blocked all devices other than Palm and Windows Mobile devices for getting our Exchange email. I am totally confused cause I wasn't aware of an option to block certain devices, and I am also totally ticked that I can't get my work email on my iPhone that might actually push me back if I could caues the iPhone email client is awesome!

It pains me to say as much as I like my iPhone that the Q9 is a lot more practical for my use. I am in no way bashing my iPhone cause all in all it is the most impressive phone I have ever used but it just isn't practical for what I do.