Visiting iCloud desktop site from an iDevice

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by Rafagon, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Surely there must be a way to visit the desktop site of iCloud.com from an iDevice?

Yesterday I created an alias for my iCloud e-mail account using iCloud.com. This morning, it isn't working (e-mail bounces back), and I'd like to visit the iCloud main site from my iPhone to double-check everything.

Instead of a site that at least provides 50% of the functionality of the desktop site, I get this useless baloney that's basically a slap in the face:

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1364045794.652283.jpg

I tried manually tweaking the URL to no avail.

Is there a kosher, apple-sanctioned way to force the full site to display on my iPhone?

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

IDK, but I initiated the two-step Apple ID security thing using my iPhone last night and I was amazed that there wasn't a mobile Safari friendly template for working through the steps. I'm still scratching my head over that. :confused:

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

From what I recall, the desktop experience wasn't really a walk in the park, either...

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple clearly does not want users accessing the full iCloud site via mobile devices. I've never seen anything like this. I was able to access it by using the URL used on computers (https://www.icloud.com/#) and spoofing the User Agent to Firefox or Chrome, but it doesn't work properly on touchscreen devices once it loads. Normally, spoofing the User Agent renders the page properly, it looks exactly how it does on a computer and you can easily navigate the page, but not on iCloud.com. Though it looks the same as it does on a computer, you can only see a portion of the screen and you can't resize it. You can click what you see, but you can't navigate on the page to see the items that are out of view. I used User Agent Faker to spoof the browser agent, but you can do this on stock devices, too. You just have to use a third party browser rather than mobile Safari.

Here are a few screenshots to show what it looked like. I was unable to view most of the days of the month when I selected the calendar icon. The middle screenshot was when I tried to use the Opera user agent setting. The other two were with Firefox.

Attached Files:

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Anyway, I think the reason for this is because they have apps for all of the features that are on iCloud.com, and the apps optimize the user experience. You should go to Apple.com to manage your iCloud email account settings, not iCloud.com.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Seems like it's their way or the highway... :(

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It makes sense though - we have apps for everything that's on the iCloud website, so we shouldn't need access this content on the website from the phone.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I agree, but on the desktop site there are two actions that I don't believe are accessible from anywhere on the iphone--mail forwarding (with its optional "Delete messages after forwarding"), and vacation auto-response toggle and setting the text of the auto-response. At least I haven't found a way to do it.

There is a third one, but it's extremely rarely used. The creation or deletion of e-mail address aliases, which is the task that prompted my rant in the first place. :D

EDIT: One last one. E-mail filtering rules... I know, I know, Cydia probably has an app for that!

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

12. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I used a different browser called Photon, it supports flash enabled websites (I know iCloud isn't flash based :p ) and works quite well. I downloaded it when I was addicted to Battle Pirates (Facebook game) and it ran great from both my iPhone 5 and iPad.

Anyway... I launched iCloud and it looks like this:

null-4.png

As you can see (I know the image quality isn't great, but we're after functionality not cosmetics) it renders beautifully :) and works just as it should on a desktop.

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I just did.

I hope I get my 30% cut of all the iPhone sales that will inevitably occur as a result of incorporating my suggestions into iOS.

I'll split it 50/50 with you for recommending that I share my concerns with them.