Vista 64bit Crashes

Aug 29, 2007
Northern CA
I've installed iTunes 7.6 (the 64 bit version - iTunes64Setup.exe) twice and each time Windows crashes - after logging in but before startup is complete. The first time, I installed iTunes without deleting the previous 7.5 version. The second time, I deleted both iTunes and QuickTime. I'm GUESSING there is a driver problem. If you have 64 bit Vista, I'd appreciate if you would let me know what driver you have - with the iPhone connected, go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/Device Manager - this assumes you have Classical settings - Under 'Portal Devices' (when iPhone is attached), I have Apple iPhone - when I select it and go to the Driver Tab it says: Driver Provider Microsoft Driver Date 6/26/2006 Driver Version 6.0.6000.16386 This is a generic driver for a Digital Still Camera, which to me seems suspicious. Again, if you have Vista 64 bit, I'd appreciate if you would respond to what driver you have. Thanks

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I've installed iTunes 7.6 (the 64 bit version - iTunes64Setup.exe) twice and each time Windows crashes - after logging in but before startup is complete. The first time, I installed iTunes without deleting the previous 7.5 version. The second time, I deleted both iTunes and QuickTime. I'm GUESSING there is a driver problem. If you have 64 bit Vista, I'd appreciate if you would let me know what driver you have - with the iPhone connected, go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/Device Manager - this assumes you have Classical settings - Under 'Portal Devices' (when iPhone is attached), I have Apple iPhone - when I select it and go to the Driver Tab it says: Driver Provider Microsoft Driver Date 6/26/2006 Driver Version 6.0.6000.16386 This is a generic driver for a Digital Still Camera, which to me seems suspicious. Again, if you have Vista 64 bit, I'd appreciate if you would respond to what driver you have. Thanks

Of course the iTunes 7.6 was supposed to fix the Vista problem, but there is still a lot of problems even when the iTunes is installed and working, the problems persists to the point of not reconizing the iPhone at all, and even deleting the drivers does not help. I have tried to help several people and I can show you the outcome from one, he used an XP driver(do a search for iTuneshelper.exe and his post will come up and contact him to send you the Xp):

1. Reinstall iTunes 7.6 as the "iTuneshelper.exe" .

2. Check device manager to see if it just shows as "iPhone" with an exclamation mark, so uninstall device.

3. Re boot the computer, open iTunes and then dock the phone and Vista should re-install a fresh driver.
so tried reinstalling drivers, pointing to where the device driver is kept. fine. says device driver is installed, but when i go back to device manager its the same, no go...

so...

i found a system restore point that allows my iPhone to sync with Vista (32bit) fine, shows up as an Apple device etc, can transfer photos. i don't have iTunes installed at this restore point, so i reinstall it. and then the problem comes back after install. ie, iPhone wont install correctly in Vista.
Finally fixed it, but it wasn't easy. After a few more tries at uninstalling and reinstalling, I grabbed the driver folders from both of my work machines (one Vista, one XPSP2) where iTunes was working and copied them to my laptop that was having the problem. I uninstalled the Apple Mobile Device Support (so the driver wouldn't be loaded) and then plugged in the iPhone. Once it installed the same old digital camera driver, I opened up the Device Manager and tried to install the iPhone drivers from the other Vista machine first. That didn't work (can't find the files specified) and then I tried the XP drivers. Sure enough, they installed. I then reinstalled iTunes and rebooted, plugged in my iPhone and it synced.

I found this discussion on the Apple support forums for anyone who may need help with this:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=6350402

It's where I got the idea, and it also gave the location of the actual driver installation files

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
I had the same problem in Vista 32-bit, as KNK mentioned. I ended up finding the Apple discussion forum where someone used an XP driver to update the drivers on his Vista machine and I followed a similar process.

I don't know how Vista 64-bit will respond to a 32-bit XP driver, and would be wary of trying it. However, it seems that iTunes 7.6 is buggy in respect to Vista drivers, so it may be an option to try if all else fails.

Aug 29, 2007
Northern CA
Thank You!

KNK: Thanks for taking the time to list all the info. I'll continue trying to fix my problem - which seems unique - no one else seems to have Windows crash. Thanks again

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
yeah im running vista x64 and of course iTunes 64 and mine hasn't crashed yet. And ive never seen that driver issue, because when formatted my comp and installed vista 64 to get a try once i hooked up my iPhone it noticed that it was an Apple mobile device and right away downloaded the software. It did the samething when i had windows x86 installed. But when i go home i see what it list the driver. But it should list it as a Apple mobile device.

Ron Walter

Aug 29, 2007
Northern CA
I tried two more times (with no luck) - see my previous posts in this thread:
Try three: I removed the drivers before trying the reinstall. After the install I had two drivers (displayed only when the iPhone was connected) - my recollection that the first was an Apple driver specific for the iPhone dated 9/25/2007 - my GUESS based on the date is that it is the correct driver for the iPhone on 64 bit Vista. The second was a relatively old generic camera driver from M$ - which I'm guessing makes sense if I wanted to unload pictures with something like Picasa.
Try Four: I followed the exact sequence of cleaning up and installing iTunes as Apple specifies on their web site. Still got the BSOD (blue screen of death) on the next Windows startup and had to use restore to return to the pre 7.6 install.

Thanks for your help. I'm looking forward to seeing how 'my' drivers match with yours.

yeah im running vista x64 and of course iTunes 64 and mine hasn't crashed yet. And ive never seen that driver issue, because when formatted my comp and installed vista 64 to get a try once i hooked up my iPhone it noticed that it was an Apple mobile device and right away downloaded the software. It did the samething when i had windows x86 installed. But when i go home i see what it list the driver. But it should list it as a Apple mobile device.

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
alright try this. Type this in the run command box services.msc and the very first thing or 2nd should be Apple mobile device. it is on mine, but it may not be the 1st but it should be there. Do you have aim or yahoo i think this will be better. Hit me up on yahoo or aim at phillyphill39

Ron Walter

Aug 29, 2007
Northern CA
I'm installing Yahoo messenger right now
alright try this. Type this in the run command box services.msc and the very first thing or 2nd should be Apple mobile device. it is on mine, but it may not be the 1st but it should be there. Do you have aim or yahoo i think this will be better. Hit me up on yahoo or aim at phillyphill39