Visual Voicemail now available on Windows Mobile and some Blackberry models

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Jeff

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Visual voicemail is one of the most appealing features on Apple's iPhone. It lets you view a list of your voice messages on the phone and playback the ones that matter to you most, without having to listen to the messages in the order they arrived.

But two days prior to iPhone's launch a voicemail-to-text company called SimulScribe announced its own free visual voicemail application, which you can download for Windows Mobile devices, as well as some BlackBerry models (8800 series, Pearl, Curve). And if you combine this new SimulSays Beta service with the company's regular voicemail transcription service, you can also read your messages on those phones.

Of course SimulScribe cannot possibly be heard above all the noise associated with the iPhone launch. But you got to give them credit for trying. The company has been running very funny spots on YouTube modeled after Apple's brilliant PC Guy/Mac Guy TV commercials. In SimulScribe's videos an attractive young woman representing SimulScribe is paired against a guy representing Apple's Visual Voicemail.

Sample banter:

She: As you can see I'm very visual. I take voicemail and turn it into text so you can read them.
He: "Well I give you a sound file."
She: "Me too. But I can't see you, where are you?
He: "Well, you can't exactly see my messages, you can only hear 'em."
She: "So how is that visual?
Check out .

Link: http://blogs.usatoday.com/technologylive/2007/07/see-me-and-hear.html

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Visual voicemail is one of the most appealing features on Apple's iPhone. It lets you view a list of your voice messages on the phone and playback the ones that matter to you most, without having to listen to the messages in the order they arrived.

But two days prior to iPhone's launch a voicemail-to-text company called SimulScribe announced its own free visual voicemail application, which you can download for Windows Mobile devices, as well as some BlackBerry models (8800 series, Pearl, Curve). And if you combine this new SimulSays Beta service with the company's regular voicemail transcription service, you can also read your messages on those phones.

Of course SimulScribe cannot possibly be heard above all the noise associated with the iPhone launch. But you got to give them credit for trying. The company has been running very funny spots on YouTube modeled after Apple's brilliant PC Guy/Mac Guy TV commercials. In SimulScribe's videos an attractive young woman representing SimulScribe is paired against a guy representing Apple's Visual Voicemail.

Sample banter:

She: As you can see I'm very visual. I take voicemail and turn it into text so you can read them.
He: "Well I give you a sound file."
She: "Me too. But I can't see you, where are you?
He: "Well, you can't exactly see my messages, you can only hear 'em."
She: "So how is that visual?
Check out .

Link: http://blogs.usatoday.com/technologylive/2007/07/see-me-and-hear.html
I wouldn't even want this, if I could have it.
#1 thing I love about voicemail, is hearing the wacky messages ppl leave you in the middle of the night. Hearing someone's tone when they leave you a message, so you know what to expect when you call them back.

Not to mention the fact that I bet anything the software will work poorly, at translating what your friends are saying. Especially if they use any kind of slang.

Get this cr*p outta here. lol
Tryin' to be like iPhone. YOU CAN'T DO IT, SON. JUST QUIT. QUIT NOW! lol

stiphone

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
interesting. I think it's only a beta test now and they will start charging later on. It's quite difficult to do speech recognition so i think there'll be quite a bit of errors when you ise it now.

lilo

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
With SimulScribe you can hear messages too.

I wouldn't even want this, if I could have it.
#1 thing I love about voicemail, is hearing the wacky messages ppl leave you in the middle of the night. Hearing someone's tone when they leave you a message, so you know what to expect when you call them back.
SimulSCribe works like voice mail. Message transcripts are extra.

TechnoDoc

Jul 2, 2007
I would have to wonder if Apple included 'visual voicemail' in the 200+ patents they filed related to the iPhone? If so, this small company doesn't have a prayer.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
I would have to wonder if Apple included 'visual voicemail' in the 200+ patents they filed related to the iPhone? If so, this small company doesn't have a prayer.
Mass patent applications are almost always for very specific design implementations, that you can get around by being a little clever.

There's rarely anything really new, even if it seems so to you or me.

For instance, visual voice mail for the home has been around for years on MCI. I'm always checking the list on the web and picking out the voicemail I want to hear remotely.

Touch screen apps that you scroll with your finger? Years old. Browsers that show the whole page and let you zoom in? Ditto.