We could just continue to get updates
directly from videolan site I guess.

owieh

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 15, 2010
Sheffield, UK
twitter.com
Have you guys tried OPlayer? It's quite capable, but it has its issues. Sometimes avi playback seems to slow down, possibly the frame-rate. WMV playback is horrible, though much better than VLC's.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Have you guys tried OPlayer? It's quite capable, but it has its issues. Sometimes avi playback seems to slow down, possibly the frame-rate. WMV playback is horrible, though much better than VLC's.
I have used it since it came out and it has worked flawlessly for me for viewing and saving WMV files from emails. VLC may let you view them but I haven't seen how it will allow you to save and store to the iPhone directly from email. I see no advantages at all to VLC.

owieh

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 15, 2010
Sheffield, UK
twitter.com
I have used it since it came out and it has worked flawlessly for me for viewing and saving WMV files from emails. VLC may let you view them but I haven't seen how it will allow you to save and store to the iPhone directly from email. I see no advantages at all to VLC.
I know what you mean, it doesn't handle "Open in..." well. It actually puts it in "VLC/Documents/Inbox/", sadly the app doesn't parse the files inside that folder. Now, it might not be rectified as Apple might take it off the store.

Hwc

Oct 4, 2010
VLC player

I know what you mean, it doesn't handle "Open in..." well. It actually puts it in "VLC/Documents/Inbox/", sadly the app doesn't parse the files inside that folder. Now, it might not be rectified as Apple might take it off the store.
Hi, what do you need it parsed for?

owieh

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 15, 2010
Sheffield, UK
twitter.com
Yep. The phone will give you an option to "Open in..." other apps. So if you've got VLC and OPlayer, you've got a choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Probably? :rolleyes: My iPhone 5 handled the video beautifully. Anyone else ever seen this message in VLC?

IMG_2083.PNG

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I saw it just the other day on my 4S. The video didn't play at all.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I was referring to the VLC warning in my screenshot, not anyone in this thread. Guess I should have clarified that.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I was referring to the VLC warning in my screenshot, not anyone in this thread. Guess I should have clarified that.
Lol, I edited my post after I realized the obvious: that your were referring to the "probably" in the popup alert. :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Wonder why Apple decided to let it back in?
Probably to try to keep up with the competition as far as video syncing goes and acceptance that it never should have been pulled in the first place. There are other iOS apps that do the same thing (though not as elegant) and were allowed to stay in the App Store.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
VLC now has DropBox integration and AirPlay support.
image.jpg