VM Fusion and XP Pro

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I've posted this question over on the VM forum and had no response, so I'm hoping you guys might know the answer.

I've just purchased a copy of WIndows XP Pro and before I install it I have a question about the Microsoft licence.

If I install under bootcamp the licence will 'register' the installation with a snapshot of the hardware so that it can't be installed elsewhere.

If I create a new VM instead, will the hardware snapshot be the same so that I can then install under bootcamp if necessary, and vice versa, or do I need 2 XP licences?

Thanks

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I've installed XP Home like a billion times from the same disk with the same key. Although its like the one with no service packs from 2003 or whatever so it might be different now.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
I tried to intstall the CD from my old desktop PC and it wouldn't register, kept telling me to contact the original manufacturer.

I don't want to waste this purchase with a VM install only to find I'd have preferred/needed a bootcamp install.

I have a particular PC package that needs to communicate with a serial device, via an adaptor.

If it works under VM then fine, but it will work under bootcamp.

I'd rather use VM for the convenience though.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Maybe the CD you have is just the upgrade version and not the full version.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
RETAIL copies of XP can be installed on one machine AT A TIME. Meaning you must uninstall it from one if you wish to install it on another.

If you're using a Restore disk from a computer from a manufacturer, it will NOT install on another machine. OEM copies of windows are good for one machine, and only one machine.

Once you get that straightened out, if you want a VM AND a bootcamp partition, VMWare can create a VM FROM your bootcamp partition, so you don't need a separate VM. I have done this, and there was no issue with licensing at all.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Thanks all.

I've decided to use my OEM licence up on a VM install of XP and not use bootcamp as once the partition size has been set it's a pain to increase

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
An OEM license won't work unless you purchased it from a vendor like newegg.com.

In other words, if it's from a previously owned computer, windows will not activate properly.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Maybe I have a magical copy of XP because I have it on two computers...at the same time, both updated and connected to the internet. It was on three different ones up until I got my macbook and made my craptop use ubuntu.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Microsoft's license validation fails sometimes. You were lucky.