VMWare Fusion and iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I'm not certain if this is a VMWare issue or an issue with linking iPhone to Windows and Mac but I can VMWare seeing the iPhone but iTunes in Windows keeps telling me to restore iPhone - Link in Mac works OK. I hear you say why do this well it is to make ringtone transfer easy - program exist for Windows but not Mac which automates this - I still use WIndows this way for a couple of other things as well and VMWare beats Parallels and BootCamp

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I'm not certain if this is a VMWare issue or an issue with linking iPhone to Windows and Mac but I can VMWare seeing the iPhone but iTunes in Windows keeps telling me to restore iPhone - Link in Mac works OK. I hear you say why do this well it is to make ringtone transfer easy - program exist for Windows but not Mac which automates this - I still use WIndows this way for a couple of other things as well and VMWare beats Parallels and BootCamp
Not sure how useful I can be as I have not used VMware, but use Parallels. When I used to have a blackberry I had a lot of trouble getting windows to see it as my Powerbook would always see it first and take control. there is an option in Paralles to have it take control of any USB device first. Not sure if VMware has that, but it helped me out when using Parallels

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Actually.... Parallels gave me more issues

I switched to VMWare when I kept having issue with Blackberry and Parallels - never had an issue with VMWare and Blackberry (or Windows Mobile either). Parallels has always been touchy about USB connections - Zune and XM Inno would never work with it but work flawlessly with VMWare. Anyway the problem is not the connection but the fact iTunes in Windoz wants to restore my iPhone even when the Mac is the same Mac I connect to iPhone with normally.
I'm checking Parallels now (had it on a backup disk, but need to reload iTunes and update Parallels as a new make is available)

cybergreg

Jul 21, 2007
While it might be the same computer, hardware wise, Apple would consider it two different computers. It's like you are trying to sync your iPhone to your buddy's Windows computer. I'm quite sure it's one or the other, not both. I understand fully about using the Windows "modding" program (after typing putfile icon.png for what seems like fifty times!), why do you need to sync in windows?