VNsea: *Real* Remote Control for the iPhone!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Finally, a decent remote control for the iPhone. You can get it with Installer and iBrickr. While VNsea is still in the early development stage, it already blows the doors off of the Safari-based remote control solutions I have tried (HTML VNC, RDM+, etc.).

The speed is incredible over WiFi, and very usable over EDGE.

On my Windows XP box I tested it using a UltraVNC and TightVNC. For me TightVNC worked a little better. For Macs it would definitely work with Chicken of the VNC as well as others.

Download TightVNC here:
http://www.tightvnc.com/

Open up ports 5800 and 5900 in your firewall, set your VNC password, install VNsea, and try to connect. If it hangs the connection isn't setup correctly.

VNsea doesn't yet have keyboard support, but will have it soon. Since I run VNC as a service, I can get to my Windows login screen with VNsea (I just can't login in yet, without keyboard support :(). The customized version of TightVNC that was modified by Nate True to offer Safari support will not run as a service (so if your desktop is locked or not logged in you can't access the PC at all).

Anyhoo, the developer seems to be working on this a lot. I suggest landscape support and he quickly answered that it was a very high priority. See here:
http://code.google.com/p/vnsea/

BTW: To pan around your desktop you tap the screen with two fingers. To use the "mouse" tap the screen where you want to place the mouse. Panning speed is fantastic.

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I've got a softkeyboard on my Samsung Q1 that I've noticed will work on the windows login screens.

Would you like to give this a go? It's a freeware program that was actually made for Vaios, and I can't recall the name, although it's a must-have for any UMPC. It essentially puts a keyboard button near the moust pointer when it's hovering over a text field. Clicking it brings up the soft keyboard.

It's a tiny EXE, I'm sure I can post it in this thread if you'd like to give it a go.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I've got a softkeyboard on my Samsung Q1 that I've noticed will work on the windows login screens.

Would you like to give this a go? It's a freeware program that was actually made for Vaios, and I can't recall the name, although it's a must-have for any UMPC. It essentially puts a keyboard button near the moust pointer when it's hovering over a text field. Clicking it brings up the soft keyboard.

It's a tiny EXE, I'm sure I can post it in this thread if you'd like to give it a go.
Sure, that way I can lock my PC when away. Sooner or later the wife is gonna realize that the monitor is just off. :eek:

--
Mike

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Sure, that way I can lock my PC when away. Sooner or later the wife is gonna realize that the monitor is just off. :eek:

--
Mike
Wow, I thought this was gonna take me hours to figure out but it took 5 minutes! I can see my home computer screen but the thing is really slow and hard to control, and I'm using WiFi. Is there some type of setting I should do to speed things up a bit?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007

--
Mike
Hah! I been there... I got a failsafe though, I unplug my monitor power cable enough so that it doesn't make contact but appears to still be plugged in :)

In any case, the file is attached, it's actually called FoatTip.exe. I have it in the startup folder of my Q1, but for your needs I'd suggest only launching it when you need it because it's not a smart application and won't unload itself if a keyboard is freshly attached or present.

Attachments

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
/looks at the odd man out

We're PC folk here friend...
It doesn't say so anywhere. "iPhone Software" is a Mac and PC subforum. This thread doesn't say "PC users only". iPhone Remote is a *REAL* Remote Control for iPhone which has been available since the beginning. The iPhone has an Apple icon on the back (which can be covered by a sticker.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
It doesn't say so anywhere. "iPhone Software" is a Mac and PC subforum. This thread doesn't say "PC users only". iPhone Remote is a *REAL* Remote Control for iPhone which has been available since the beginning. The iPhone has an Apple icon on the back (which can be covered by a sticker.:cool:
/sigh

Wanting to avoid going off topic I'm going to just ignore the mac/pc issue.

And why would I want a windows logo on my iPhone? Gross. LoL

Last edited by a moderator:

falsetigerlimbs

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I actually came up with a way to be able to type using this program.
Just bring up the "On screen keyboard" feature on your computer (found under accessories > Accessibility). Then use the keyboard on your iPhone.

I was able to chat in a Java based chatroom using it. I just arranged both the chat window and the keyboard so they were positioned and sized well enough to use.

sixkilla22

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Perth Amboy NJ
I want to do this but I have no idea how to make it work. I have the program on my phone and I downloaded TightVNC but I'm lost now.

And I have no idea how to open those ports on my firewall....I'm using McAfee.

outsited

Jul 19, 2007
i just did everythin needed and i tried to connect now my phones been frozen for 10 minutes with a Connection Failed coming up:mad:

This is why we should be able to take the battery out

**edit** soft reset fixed it

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
That's not the same at all--iphone Remote uses Safari as its client. As I noted above VNsea is a native VNC client and is much, much, faster than anything that uses Safari.

--
Mike
Hey Mike I posted the soft keyboard on the previous page before this thread got out of hand for no good reason.

I've posted the attachment here again, please let me know how it goes. My Q1 is running tablet edition of XP so I'm not sure if this exe is just a shortcut to a SIP or not.

Attachments

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Hey Mike I posted the soft keyboard on the previous page before this thread got out of hand for no good reason.

I've posted the attachment here again, please let me know how it goes. My Q1 is running tablet edition of XP so I'm not sure if this exe is just a shortcut to a SIP or not.
Sorry for the delay, 999, I've been out of town (in a hotel from hell in Odessa text--no hotels available during this mini oil boom).

Anyhoo I tried to run it on my PC back home, via RDP, but it didn't seem to do anything. Will try it when I am actually at the PC, and report back if there is any change. Didn't get an error message or anything; it just doesn't show the keyboard, nor does it appear to show in the task manager. Tried it on the Vista laptop I have with me with the same results.

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Sorry for the delay, 999, I've been out of town (in a hotel from hell in Odessa text--no hotels available during this mini oil boom).

Anyhoo I tried to run it on my PC back home, via RDP, but it didn't seem to do anything. Will try it when I am actually at the PC, and report back if there is any change. Didn't get an error message or anything; it just doesn't show the keyboard, nor does it appear to show in the task manager. Tried it on the Vista laptop I have with me with the same results.

--
Mike
I was worried this would be the case. I think this exe is just a shortcut to a XP tablet edition service, the soft keyboard aka tabtip.exe.

I recently stumbled across another software keyboard on one of my favorite sites:

http://portableapps.com/apps/accessibility/on-screen_keyboard_portable

It looks pretty good, I'm just not sure it can be run at the login screen :T