VNSea

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I know that the majority of you probably don't use this program, or even have the need to, but I gotta give props to the creator of this, because it is fantastic!
For those that don't know what this is, it is a remote tool to connect to a desktop PC and control it from a remote location. Kind of like that "go to my pc" commercials you see on TV.
When this initially came out, the most that you were able to do is move around the screen (2 fingers) and click objects (1 finger) and that was it. If you wanted to type,you were either SOL, or you could bring up the on screen keyboard ( Windows users) and tap out your message through that.
Well now, the program has FULL functionallity, and it works beautifully. Even over Edge connections, this program is fast. Perfect for those moments that you need to mail a file to someone, but the file is on you home PC and you are at Grandma's place.
It also works if you have a webcam attached to your PC, remote in and launch it, and you can see ( and control, if that's an option) whatever displays on the desktop.
There are a few things that have to be done in order to get this to actually work properly. 1) you have to have a version of winvnc.exe running as a service on your PC. ( I recommend Ultra VNC. Google it to locate the free download), 2) if you have a home firewall, you must configure it to accept connections on port 5900.
ex. Name of virtual server: Vnsea (this is just something to identify it. I kept it easy.)
Private IP: 192.168.***.*** (this is the IP address of your PC on your home network.)
Protocol: TCP 5900/5900
3)You also have to clone the Modem IP address to your PC on the router so that you can actually get to the right PC if there is more than 1 connected. Tinman, can you confirm? I know I had to do this with my D-Link router for just standard VNC connections, so I am assuming it has to be done for this as well.

If you are connected (wirelessly) to the same network as the PC you want to control, you just need to have VNC running on the PC and know the PC's IP address.

In my opinion, this iPhone program alone is worth it's weight in gold. And for those that need a solution for remote monitoring - especially for work, this could be your golden ticket!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I love VNsea. Or at least I did. But without the ability to turn off the "two fingers to pan" approach (without being in view only mode) I just can't use it much. If you don't place two fingers down at the exact same time the tap is treated as mouse input. I hate that, and it caused me to send an email prematurely (I was trying to pan, but instead the "Send" button was clicked).

Anyway I still like VNsea, but the moment someone comes out with something that uses standard iPhone operation I'll be all over it (i.e., I'd buy it).

Too bad the developer of VNsea has zero interest in making the two fingers operation an optional setting. For me it would sooo much better if I could turn the live mouse feature on and off. Not too thrilled with having it zoom when I want to pan (and vice versa) but those aren't as dangerous as the out-of-control mouse.

What I'd really like is a native RDP client. I'd pay for that in a heartbeat.

--
Mike

Otacon132

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
does VNsea work with XP? or is it exclusive to mac?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Works with any PC- XP, mac, whatever.

Otacon132

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
what an amazing app - i wish the controls where a bit easier to use, moving around and clicking, ect...as tinman mentioned, but overall its a brilliant app. I just wish i had a static IP now lol

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
what an amazing app - i wish the controls where a bit easier to use, moving around and clicking, ect...as tinman mentioned, but overall its a brilliant app. I just wish i had a static IP now lol
You don't need one for just remote access. Just use the free dyndns, a compatible free client (or it could be built into your modem/router), a free sub-domain name to access the remote machine with, and finally forward ports 5800/5900 to the local IP of the remote machine. Voila, remote access without a static IP.

For example one of my dyndns PCs has a sub-domain like this:
tinman15.homeip.net (not the real name)

So in VNsea I use the above address to access my remote PC. Should the IP change it's updated immediately to dyndns so I only need to use the sub-domain name.

--
Mike

Otacon132

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
Hmmmm interesting, i don't think my router has anything like that (linksys WRT with a modified firmware). Where can I get a client that does that?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Mike, Check out this site:

https://www.rdmplus.com/rdm/page.jsp?p=index

Is that kind of what your looking for?
Thanks for the link. Ironically I got that app for free after testing it when it was in beta.

While it does indeed work, it relies on Safari. Without java it is pretty slow--not quite fast enough for my needs.

VNsea is of course a native VNC client and without the constraints of Safari it truly flies--usable over EDGE. My only quibble with it is the pan/zoom control: it doesn't follow standard iPhone conventions (if you try to move the screen around with one finger, like with Safari and other iPhone apps, it actually moves the mouse). That said you do get used to the two-finger operation with practice.

What I meant by native RDP client is a client that works as fast as VNsea, but for RDP connections (to use with Remote Desktop, Terminal Services, etc.). Obviously I'd prefer it not use the same mouse control approach that VNsea uses.

BTW: To test how easily it can be to pan with VNsea you can setup the connection to be View Only. This turns off mouse support, so isn't practical for me, but it does illustrate how great VNsea would be if that kind of control was available all of the time (even as an option).

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Hmmmm interesting, i don't think my router has anything like that (linksys WRT with a modified firmware). Where can I get a client that does that?
I haven't needed one for a few years now, due to my router supporting dyndns directly, but if you google "dyndns client" you should find plenty.

--
Mike

I've been using VNsea since the first incarnation of the program. I've liked it better and better each time.

I can say now that I'm about 95% in love with the new version! :D

I can't wait to see what comes next and would be willing to pony up a buck or two for the final version when it comes around. This is a GREAT program and I use VNC on a regular basis.

This just opens up yet another avenue for productivity in my world and I applaud the creators for such a great piece of software!