Voice activated dialing...Not sure it is worth it

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Howdy, well today I went onto AT&T's web page and logged into my account and added voice activated dialing. Not sure it is worth it. It by no means compares to the voice activated dialing by Verizon. My biggest complaint is that it DOES NOT use your current existing contacts like Verizon did. You have to log into voicedial.wireless.att.com and add the contacts that you want to use with voice activated dialing. Now there is an option to import your Outlook contacts but since I am using the Windows contacts there is no option for this. Another draw back is that you cannot use the same name twice. So if you had a home and cell number for Sally you would need to name your contact Sally Home with the home number and then add another contact Sally Cell with the cell number. At least this is the way I did it. Another issue is that you must first maunally dial *8 to use the voice activated system. I cannot get my replaced phone to pair with my Nokia bluetooth earpiece so I do not know if you used an earpiece if you would still need to first manually dial *8. The cost is $4.99 additional a month. I am at this point trying to decide if the cost is worth it.

Lilmike09

Jul 11, 2007
www.myspace.com
i don't think it is, but i guess it all depends on how you like it. i mean i look at it at it as id rather just punch the number in then pay 5 bucks a month. but i guess if your a businesss person and have a lot of contacts it could be an advantage..

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
How does this work with the iPhone? I'm so used to just setting that up on my phone, not over the web. Any links on instructions.

Jul 10, 2007
OK Guys and Gals....

Is it really considered "voice dailing" if you need to hit more than 2, 3, or 4 strokes of the phone (and you must LOOK at the phone) considering your phone would probably be in sleep mode (and possibly another app) when you get ready to make the so called "voice dial" call?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the invention?!

I'm used to pushing one button by touch only.

hmmmm...

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
OK Guys and Gals....

Is it really considered "voice dailing" if you need to hit more than 2, 3, or 4 strokes of the phone (and you must LOOK at the phone) considering your phone would probably be in sleep mode (and possibly another app) when you get ready to make the so called "voice dial" call?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the invention?!

I'm used to pushing one button by touch only.

hmmmm...
My last allowed me to just press on the bluetooth headset and speak the persons name. If you have to do more then that, voice mail dialing isn't worth it.

Jul 10, 2007
Let's see...pick up my iPhone....slide the "unlock" icon...push the "home" button...hit the "phone" icon...hit the "keypad" icon...push *....push 8...speak name. And God bless you if the system gives you the wrong name. HA!

Clearly a step backwards in the world of voice dialing. Worth every bit of $4.99 a month!

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Well if I EVER get this replacement iPhone to pair with my earpiece I will let you know about the one click on the earpiece. Something tells me that I will still have to manually dial *8. Does anyone know if this is the way all AT&T products work or is it just on the iPhone?

Jul 10, 2007
I have had AT&T for over 8 years...pre Cingular merger...and I have had voice calling on several of their phones.

ALL of the phones I had required you to push one button on the side of the phone by "touch" only and then you heard a beep and you spoke the name of who you wanted to call. The call was then placed.

That my friends is voice calling.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I have had AT&T for over 8 years...pre Cingular merger...and I have had voice calling on several of their phones.

ALL of the phones I had required you to push one button on the side of the phone by "touch" only and then you heard a beep and you spoke the name of who you wanted to call. The call was then placed.

That my friends is voice calling.
Normally that button is called the "smart" button. Works the same way with bluetooth devices on most GSM phones.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Let's see...pick up my iPhone....slide the "unlock" icon...push the "home" button...hit the "phone" icon...hit the "keypad" icon...push *....push 8...speak name. And God bless you if the system gives you the wrong name. HA!

Clearly a step backwards in the world of voice dialing. Worth every bit of $4.99 a month!
I have this and it is a lot simpler than this.

I just make sure *8 is the last number I dialed. Which is usually the case if most of your calls are people in your voice dial list.

Then I just have to hold down the button on my bluetooth headset, this redials the last number called (*8) I say the persons name, and it connect.

I do not even have to touch the phone. Sometimes it stays in the case most of the day.

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Okay I finally got my bluetooth earpiece to pair. As I thought after pushing the PUSH TO TALK (PTT) button nothing happened. I manually had to dial *8 and what is not cool is that you say who you want to talk to and after the connect the call indicater still says *8 while you are talking to whoever. I guess that makes since since it is NOT using your phone's contacts. Very cheesy way to handle voice activated calling when other carriers like Verizon do such a great job. I will probably be canceling this feature soon.

Jul 10, 2007
I have this and it is a lot simpler than this.

I just make sure *8 is the last number I dialed. Which is usually the case if most of your calls are people in your voice dial list.

Then I just have to hold down the button on my bluetooth headset, this redials the last number called (*8) I say the persons name, and it connect.

I do not even have to touch the phone. Sometimes it stays in the case most of the day.
Uh...I would guess that the majority of iPhone users (even those like me that would LOVE voice dialing) use the iPhone for many applications and cannot ensure that *8 is the last number dialed. Secondly most of us don't have that oh so "cool" bluetooth sticking in our ear all day so we would have to manually go to the phone keypad screen.

This is just a crude and impratical solution for voice dialing as the OP has just figured out.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Voice dialing should be a function of the phone and not a paid service. I had an LG VX8300 (thinks that was the model) and when I programmed a number I also programed in the voice activation. It would learn me saying a name and from then on if I wanted to voice vial I hit a button on the side of the phone and spoke the name or hit the button on my bluetooth and said the name and it dialed. What is being discussed here is not the same thing to me. I guess I don't have enough contacts to comprehend why the paid service is of value when you are not able to do it hands free, for me being the point of vocie dialing.