Voice and data at the same time

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by radtechy, Dec 12, 2012.

1. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

I know GSM networks can do it 3G or LTE.

And I thought Verizon can do it with LTE. So why won't it work?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It works on all of the Verizon LTE phones while they are on LTE, with the exception of the iPhone 5. It's Apple's fault, not Verizon's. If I remember correctly, it's because the iPhone 5 only has two antennas and they can't be used simultaneously.

3. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Correct. Same with sprint.

4. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

As far as I can remember Verizon has never been able to do both & don't think sprint can either. With iPhone 5 on AT&T it switches off LTE for voice so simultaneous voice & data won't be with LTE.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

All of the Verizon LTE phones (with the exception of the iPhone 5) can do simultaneous voice and data on LTE. It's a antenna hardware limitation of the iPhone 5.

6. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Sprint is same. Can do voice data same time on LTE. Just not on iPhone.

Well you can but have to use wifi

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Right. Any phone can do voice and data on WiFi. And you're right, the Sprint iPhone 5 can't do simultaneous voice and data on LTE, either. It's because it's the same hardware as the Verizon model and it's limited by the antennas. The only iPhones that can do simultaneous voice and data over cellular are the AT&T models and it works on all of them except the iPhone 2G.

8. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

To be specific, no carrier can actually do voice over LTE at the moment, so the phone has to drop down to 3G. The reason other LTE phones can stay on LTE data while doing a phone call is that they have multiple radios, so that they can be on both 3G and LTE at the same time. There is no way to do simultaneous 3G + LTE in a single radio design.

It is theoretically ready for Voice over LTE, though.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Is it really dropping down to from LTE to 3G for the calls, though. I thought LTE was just for data (at least currently) and Verizon/Sprint phone calls use the 3G radio, regardless if you're using data at the time of the call or not.

10. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Well there is answer. It would be great to do once in a blue moon but something that I never really used much when I had AT&T so its not a big deal with me

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe

11. Ron7624

Ron7624 Member
    Bronze

That capability is the only reason why I still have AT&T. My wife and I do however use it constantly and do not want to be without it.
    The downside is that we used to have very poor service where we work. But LTE just solved that problem and for the first time in years we have Great service and great connectivity.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app