Voice control on 3G?

cdbformula

Bronze
Jan 6, 2008
Does the new voice control feature work on the iPhone 3G or is this feature locked to the newer iPhone 3GS?

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
The 3G S voice control is hardware supported and a native feature in the OS.

There are apps that you can download to your 3G that performs similar functions. The accuracy of those apps, however, is debatable.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
The 3G S voice control is hardware supported and a native feature in the OS.

There are apps that you can download to your 3G that performs similar functions. The accuracy of those apps, however, is debatable.
The Say Who App is extremely accurate for me. It has never called the wrong person even though some of my contacts have similar names.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I tell you what is the good for voice operation- 'google' app. It's outstanding. I was thinking of some really difficult things to say, it nailed it every single time. I'm really impressed with it. But.. it's only for searches etc, nothing fancy like what the 3GS has :)

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I tell you what is the good for voice operation- 'google' app. It's outstanding. I was thinking of some really difficult things to say, it nailed it every single time. I'm really impressed with it. But.. it's only for searches etc, nothing fancy like what the 3GS has :)
Agreed, the google voice search is superb. However, it doesn't recognize when I put it to my ear to search, I have to press the button, but it's accuracy is immense!

hitrho5

Bronze
Jun 26, 2008
Florida
say who is the best voice dialer on the app store. It may not be as good-looking, accessable (3GS voice control can be accessed from anyapp w/o having to leave it), or accurate as the 3GS's built in one, but I used to have it for my 3g and 1st gen before that and I can say that it is hands down the best. Get the pro version. You won't regret it.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Since 3GS is obviously software related and can run fine on 3G if Apple were to allow it, I wonder how long before a jailbreak app comes out that enable Apple's Voice Control on the 3G (also, something that enables Video).

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Since 3GS is obviously software related and can run fine on 3G if Apple were to allow it, I wonder how long before a jailbreak app comes out that enable Apple's Voice Control on the 3G (also, something that enables Video).
It isn't software related, its hardward that has been added that means its cant be implemented on prior models. Although we know technically the 3g can record video and voice control.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
It isn't software related, its hardward that has been added that means its cant be implemented on prior models. Although we know technically the 3g can record video and voice control.
What kind of extra hardware is needed to do voice control besides a microphone and software?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Although, to play devil's advocate, I was using Microsoft Voice Command on my Cingular 2125 over two years ago and it was pretty responsive. 200Mhz Texas Instruments OMAP850 processor. I think the V1/3G trumps that pretty handily.