Voice control upgrade on 3.1

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I have a Jawbone 2. Now if I press and hold the 2nd button (toward the back, not the power button) the 3GS will open up voice control. I was REALLY impressed that I was able to say "dial xxx-xxx-xxxx" at a normal to fast speed and it dialed the correct number on the first try. Never bad to touch the phone.

Anyone else having good results with VC?

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
NO, Voice Control does NOT understand my Brooklyn accent. It tries to call people i really should take out of my contact list lol. Google does understand my accent though ;)

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I have a Jawbone 2. Now if I press and hold the 2nd button (toward the back, not the power button) the 3GS will open up voice control. I was REALLY impressed that I was able to say "dial xxx-xxx-xxxx" at a normal to fast speed and it dialed the correct number on the first try. Never bad to touch the phone.

Anyone else having good results with VC?
Wow! That's sweet. I can't wait for 3.1 to come out then.

Joe

It's ok for someone who has a really distinct name but the precision could be ALOT better. I tried calling my mom earlier and it responded by saying "Calling Ronnie". I was like WTF?

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
i agree it could be a lot more accurate, the google app on the other hand is very accurate for me.

Aetherhole

Jul 16, 2007
That's awesome to hear. I have a Jawbone 2, as well and was looking for this feature to be added!

Can't wait for 3.1 to come out.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Does that also mean 3.1 will have pause and play functionality over BT?

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I also wish there was a way to have the iPhone auto-play upon BT connection. So as soon as my iPhone connects to my car stereo, it starts playing.

I would never have to take it out of my pocket!

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
3.0 does that now with A2DP. My S9's worked fine when I had them.
Well my Sony head unit in the car can not control playback. I didn't realize the S9s could. I thought A2DP was for streaming only, then some other protocol was for actual controls, something like AVRCP or some crap like that.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Your car might not support A2DP, A2DP supports bluetooth media playback and controls.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Your car might not support A2DP, A2DP supports bluetooth media playback and controls.
My car supports A2DP, that was the only reason for me to purchase that head unit. And it works flawlessly. However all playback controls are done on the phone itself. The manual for the head unit states the device needs AVRCP to support playback controls. AVRCP = Audio/Video Remote Control Profile.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Whats weird is that recently I got into my car and was playing with the head unit and was able to press pause and play and it worked, but nothing else, no FF or RW. But since then I cant get it to work again. I press the same button and nothing happens. Strange.

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
It's ok for someone who has a really distinct name but the precision could be ALOT better. I tried calling my mom earlier and it responded by saying "Calling Ronnie". I was like WTF?
Perhaps you should change your mother's contact name from "Mommy" to "Mother.";)

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I'm looking forward to 3.1 for this feature, though I hope it doesn't jack up how well my iPhone already works with my car's Bluetooth system.

I have a friend who is interested in getting the iPhone 3GS and the ability to do voice control via Bluetooth is a big issue for her and has prevented her from getting one so far. She's currently using a Blackberry Pearl, which lacks GPS, 3G, and Wi-Fi and I think she's sick of me and other friends using our phones to help us navigate around the city and surf the internet more effectively than she can... :D

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
For those of you that say the voice recognition isn't accurate
perhaps some speech therapy will fix this

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I'm looking forward to 3.1 for this feature, though I hope it doesn't jack up how well my iPhone already works with my car's Bluetooth system.

I have a friend who is interested in getting the iPhone 3GS and the ability to do voice control via Bluetooth is a big issue for her and has prevented her from getting one so far. She's currently using a Blackberry Pearl, which lacks GPS, 3G, and Wi-Fi and I think she's sick of me and other friends using our phones to help us navigate around the city and surf the internet more effectively than she can... :D
macgirl, what head unit do you have in your vehicle? Do you ever try the voice recog while connected to your head unit? For some reason the voice recognition sounds (like the beeps and the lady talking) never come over my car speakers, but every other sound from the iPhone does. Just wondering if you have the same issue?

Also, can you play/pause with your head unit?

[sorry for the slight hijack]

For those of you that say the voice recognition isn't accurate
perhaps some speech therapy will fix this
:laugh2:

It's funny because its true!

But actually, I think I enunciate very well. I periodically have trouble with the Voice Recog. But in my case, I think those times are limited to moments with excessive background noise. Ive gone through my phone and changed certain things to make it easier for me to use.

My wife now has a duplicate contact labeled "ONE".
Saying "Call one" has not failed yet.

My favorite playlist used to be called Heavy Favorites. Ive changed that to simply Heavy and Ive been golden since then.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
iMerlin, I use my 3gs with my BMW 5 series and my girlfriends mini cooper, both have built in bluetooth so its not an aftermarket one. however, when using 3.0 i experience the same. The beep etc come through the phone, with 3.1 these beeps are coming through my speakers. Hope this helps. Ive only just updated to 3.1 so only just tested it about 2 times

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
iMerlin, I use my 3gs with my BMW 5 series and my girlfriends mini cooper, both have built in bluetooth so its not an aftermarket one. however, when using 3.0 i experience the same. The beep etc come through the phone, with 3.1 these beeps are coming through my speakers. Hope this helps. Ive only just updated to 3.1 so only just tested it about 2 times
Excellent news! Thanks Croucher! I was hoping for this. Surprisingly my iPhone recognizes my voice fairly well in the car when its in its mount.