Voice Dial is $27 before 2//08

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I have been playing around with the voice dial and after getting in a quite room and putting the commands in 3 times so it has 3 different tags, it works pretty well. The trial is over and I saw if you buy before 2/08 its only $27 (It seems a little high but it may be worth it).

I guess the question I have is, do you guys think its going to be cheaper once the SDK come out and you can buy this stuff over iTunes?

http://www.makayama.com/iPhonevoicedial.html

caboose

Bronze
Nov 19, 2007
maybe I was using it wrong, but to me it seemed like a complete waste of time. First I had to go into the program, then I had to hope it would recognize my voice, then click on a button to go to the actual program/contact/website that I wanted to go to. It seemed easier to just click on sms or whatever from my home screen....Idk i think it's stupid.

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
maybe I was using it wrong, but to me it seemed like a complete waste of time. First I had to go into the program, then I had to hope it would recognize my voice, then click on a button to go to the actual program/contact/website that I wanted to go to. It seemed easier to just click on sms or whatever from my home screen....Idk i think it's stupid.
I hear ya. Give it another try with these steps.
1: Go into menu - Sys Commands
Make sure you have it recongize for Accept, Cancel and Repeat.
2: Go into menu - Contacts
Select 3 contacts to do the recongize
3: click on COMMANDS (each item should have a tag of 1)
Click on each item and let it recongize you. Make sure you do it 2 times for each so the # of tags are 3.
NOTE: Make sure you don't put it so close to the mic and also make sure to do it in a quit room.
4: Now try and use it.

I get the contacts to come up now each time. I just sometimes have issues with the Accept, Cancel and repeat.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I like this app and have had it working well for contacts / apps / bookmarks. I think $27 is high-ish but just about OK.

I would feel a lot better about it though if in addition to assurances that they will do their best to keep it working after the SDK, they would also offer some sort of (at least partial) refund if it fails to work after X period of time following SDK release ...

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I just tried this out last night and wasn't overwhelmingly impressed, but it could work ok once I got it configured right and got the hang of using it.

One thing tho ... I couldn't make it come up by double tapping the home button. What's the trick here? If I have to look at the screen to find the icon then it is significantly less useful.

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I just tried this out last night and wasn't overwhelmingly impressed, but it could work ok once I got it configured right and got the hang of using it.

One thing tho ... I couldn't make it come up by double tapping the home button. What's the trick here? If I have to look at the screen to find the icon then it is significantly less useful.
I went to setting in general, and set to home button.

Then you need to go into voice dial prefs and unclick the dbl tap to off, it then sleeps the phone, slide to open again, go to voice dial, then prefs, dbl tap switch turn on, then sleep phone, then back on and works again.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I went to setting in general, and set to home button.

Then you need to go into voice dial prefs and unclick the dbl tap to off, it then sleeps the phone, slide to open again, go to voice dial, then prefs, dbl tap switch turn on, then sleep phone, then back on and works again.
Ok, thanks. That worked eventually. But it still can't be activated by double tapping when it's asleep. Have to slide the bar first. Oh well.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Even if the program is a good value to you at $27, keep in mind that if you really like the new software that is released through iTunes in the future and decide to un-jailbreak your phone will the $27 software still be able to be used? Will it be available through iTunes for free since you paid now? Will you have paid $27 for a voice dialing software that works great for a few weeks but then is deleted when you upgrade just to have lost the money? Is Apple going to accept this software as a safe product and approve it's release through iTunes in the first place or will they consider this a program that goes against the basic function of the phone as they released it? Since Voice dialing is a capability as proven by this software, is it something that Apple may release in a few weeks, months, etc.. as a free update on the phone? A lot of "what if's" to take into consideration. If it was $5 or even $10 then no biggie, enjoy it while it lasts but close to $30 without a certain future? Nah... I will wait.

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
Even if the program is a good value to you at $27, keep in mind that if you really like the new software that is released through iTunes in the future and decide to un-jailbreak your phone will the $27 software still be able to be used? Will it be available through iTunes for free since you paid now? Will you have paid $27 for a voice dialing software that works great for a few weeks but then is deleted when you upgrade just to have lost the money? Is Apple going to accept this software as a safe product and approve it's release through iTunes in the first place or will they consider this a program that goes against the basic function of the phone as they released it? Since Voice dialing is a capability as proven by this software, is it something that Apple may release in a few weeks, months, etc.. as a free update on the phone? A lot of "what if's" to take into consideration. If it was $5 or even $10 then no biggie, enjoy it while it lasts but close to $30 without a certain future? Nah... I will wait.
Quoted For Truth... This is why I refuse to pay for any pre-SDK app.