Voice Mail Listings: How does the phone "know" to list the callers?

GSY

Bronze
Mar 22, 2007
The voice mail list looks very interesting but how does the iPhone "know" the names of the callers to list? Is this something that the caller has to type in, something that the user types in for later reference, voice recognitgion, or some other process.

If it requires "typing" this could be somewhat tedious. Just curious.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I believe it cross references the caller id from the call against your contact list. If this is true, you will only see names on the voicemails from someone in your contacts. I think Steve mentioned something about it during the keynote. If I can find his comments, I will post them.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I believe it is the same way your phone knows WHO sent a text messege. If it is a familiar number then It will show up whatever you named the contact. However if you did not the number would be listed. I.E. MOM (Click to play Voicemail)(xxx)-xxx-xxxx (Click to play voicemail.)

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
It must use the Caller-ID function, if you notice during the keynote demo, one of the messages on the screen was by "Unknown", meaning the caller was not in Steve's address book.
I noticed that as well. I hope wjp09 is correct and the iPhone will show the phone number when the caller is not in your contacts. Then the only time you would see "Unknown" is when caller id information is not available.