Voicemail Notification

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by MoneyMaker79, Feb 3, 2015.

1. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I figured I would make a new thread for this as the others are from long long ago iOS. I am on an iPhone 6+, iOS 8.1.2 and maybe for 2 or 3 iOS updates now it has been I haven't seen any notifications that I have voicemail. I know I could go through the others or look online for a possible answer, but this is better possibly to help others.

2. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Switch from the default voicemail app and get YouMail. It rocks.

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'd rather not. :) I don't like change.

4. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Don't be afraid.

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Why is YouMail better?

6. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Customizable messages. You can dump your address book into it and it will greet callers by name when they call. It will also email you when you have a voicemail.

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

You see, I really don't need all that, I just want a simple thing fixed with iPhone voicemail: Notifications. :)

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is likely a problem that is caused by one of your jailbreak tweaks. Try running your phone in safe mode and call your number from another phone. If that resolves it, troubleshoot your Cydia installations.

9. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I love YouMail.... To me it's well worth it. Plus I like they text me the message.

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'll try this somehow, maybe using online call or something or have a friend call me...but I don't have any phone tweaks.

It isn't jailbreak related. ATT is helping me now. Part of issue was a check box wasn't checked. The other thing was that it won't work without cellular being on.

#10 MoneyMaker79, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  11. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I only have the free version, so I don't get the dictated messages via text or email. I had that at one time through something I believe was called Google Voice, but I liked YouMail better when I found it and so I switched.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Oh, I thought you meant it was a problem with voicemail notifications, not the actual voicemails. You've had cellular disabled all this time? Where is this checkbox?

13. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

The checkbox is one att checks when I call to switch upgrade to my line etc. I've had cellular disabled because so I don't use a bunch of data but I'll keep it on now.

14. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I tried google voice too..., But it was nowhere near as good as YouMail. Plus I like the personalized messages feature. It actually gives my parents a different VM than my Wife or other people...

15. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I've never had an issue when upgrading a line. But, I've also never turned off cellular either.

16. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

Now that I think about.... My wife had a issue with hers after a AT&T rep updated our plan. It did not affect me, because I use YouMail. But it did affect her phone when trying to use her Voicemal. When updating our data, there are 2 sets of Internet Plans. One normal and one with Visual Voicemail. The Rep choose the wrong one and it turned off my Wife's voicemail.

17. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Although I didn't have cellular on, this also played a roll in the issue for me as well. They didn't check the box to give me visual voicemail. Every now and then I turned on cellular, but for voicemail it said it wasn't available.

18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

That sounded interesting so I looked it up. I'm on their website now. It doesn't require a jailbreak. It's free. What's the catch? There's gotta be a catch. I gotta sell my soul to somebody? They can listen to my private voicemails whenever they want?

I'm curious as to how this app can usurp the stock iOS voicemail app and answer calls. This doesn't sound like something Apple would sanction. Does it provide dialing functions too, or does one continue using Phone.app for that?

Any info is appreciated, but if not I can probably try out the app and find out first-hand without untoward consequences. (Right?)

19. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

Visual Voicemail is not that big of a deal. Most of YouMails services are free. But what they are hoping is you like it and upgrade to a plan they get paid for. Like I did. I used YouMail and really like the customized voicemail. It great my Mom differently than a customer who calls me. It's great. But I paid for the version were they actually text you your message. Works pretty well 90 percent of the time. Since my car reads my text messages, when I am driving it just gets read to me instead of having to listen.

However.. with that being said. It gets confused over my Mom;s heavy southern draw. So I get a lot of ??? marks when it doesn't understand her. lol

20. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

No one has said how much the service is, and it does not say in the app description nor the website. Is it a monthly fee? How much? What, exactly, do you get extra?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5