voicemail sounds hollow?

Aug 27, 2007
anyone having problems with their visual voicemail sounding really hollow and grainy? i went to att and the guy told me hes never had anyone come in with that problem. id rather find out if its just the way it is, or if my phone has a problem before driving an hour to have Apple check it out.

oab

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
anyone having problems with their visual voicemail sounding really hollow and grainy? i went to att and the guy told me hes never had anyone come in with that problem. id rather find out if its just the way it is, or if my phone has a problem before driving an hour to have Apple check it out.
Mine sounds the same way--I think that's just the way it is.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Yeah I noticed the same thing. Its must be how the voice message is converted and then put out there for you to stream, probably a very compressed file to save them space. I can still hear it so its fine with me.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I'm thinking, at least on the macs, Apple tries to make everything work together. Like why build an audio player for visual VM and we can just play them with the iPod's audio player?

I went to the iPod EQ and turned it on and selected bass booster and the VM seems to sounds a little better to me. I left my earphones at work so I can only test it with the iPhones speaker. But it sounds better to me.

/disclaimer I was a roadie for many years so my hearing is not what it use to be.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
ya its a pretty drastic difference between listening in visual voicemail as apposed to traditional voicemail... try listening to the same message by going to the keypad, and pressing and old 1 like the old days. it sounds perfect... i called in the day i bought my phone about this issue. I was told it was because the messages are stored in a streaming format for immediate playback so you lose some quality.