VOIP for iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

viperboy

Sep 11, 2007
i'm not really sure if this is what it's called, but i am looking for a program/web-based app or something that i can call via wifi without it calling back my phone. i don't care if i have to pay for it.

i tried skype, but when i place an outgoing call on wifi, it calls back my number. i want something that can just call a number via wifi. is this possible? is there a different name for it? TIA

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I'd really like for ATT to yoink tha feature from TMobile, where the phone switches from a cellular carrier to one on an available WiFi connection. This sounds like an Apple idea, I just don't get why it had to happen on the other side of the fence.

viperboy

Sep 11, 2007
ok, maybe i don't get how the tmobile hotspot at home works. cause i have tmobile prepaid now in my unlocked iPhone. how does it work, anyway?

adamdm

Sep 18, 2007
ok, maybe i don't get how the tmobile hotspot at home works. cause i have tmobile prepaid now in my unlocked iPhone. how does it work, anyway?
As T-Mobile is wont to do many times...it only works with certain phones...but basically you have a phone that treats WiFi signals like another cell phone tower and can "roam" on WiFi when it sees it. Last I checked, you paid an extra $10/month, and all of your minutes on WiFi were free/unlimited. The phones are also capable of "handing off" calls between WiFi and cellular and vice-versa without dropping the call. In that case, if you start a call on WiFi then leave the WiFi area...your call continues to be free/unlimited for the duration even if you are no longer using "WiFi minutes". Conversely, if you start a call on cellular and then move to WiFi...it would be in your best interest to hang up and call back...because the entire duration of the call would be billed as cellular since that's where it initiated.

They also package new contracts with a special "T-Mobile" wireless router for your home that is "optimized" for this service...but it is clearly stated that any WiFi network can be used.

It's a great service. But one I can't EVER see any of the legacy wireless providers providing, unfortunately.

Hope that helps.