VoLTE on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by ZR_Yancy, Sep 19, 2014.

1. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Has anyone tested this out yet? If so, how does it sound? I understand it's HD quality voice. I think you have to enable it in the cellular settings (voice+data).

2. Zzz

Zzz Contributor
    Bronze

Thank you so much! I'm with Verizon and I had been looking for that setting. Just activated it and tested it. Sounds like a FaceTime audio only call, but better quality. I like it.

3. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

Which carriers are supporting it at this point?

4. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Both AT&T and Verizon state that using VoLTE will only pull from calling minutes and not from data. Only video calling will pull data.

5. Zzz

Zzz Contributor
    Bronze

I know Verizon rolled it out in the DFW area on the 17th. 2 days before the 6 & 6+ dropped.

6. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Both AT&T and Verizon have rolled it out but it's not available in all markets yet.

7. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

Ok. I have the setting enabled. Not sure what I need to do to actually make an LTE call.
    I did have a confused moment when my iPad starting ringing at me earlier saying I had a call coming in.

8. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

That's it. Your calls should sound clearer. Especially if you call someone using VoLTE on their phone.

9. Bunk009

Bunk009 Member
    Bronze

Has anyone experienced any dropped calls by enabling? I want to do it but was afraid it's in too much of an infant phase. Also, it won't cost us anything except minutes for voice and data for video?

10. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Voice only uses minutes. Some are reporting slow download speeds when VoLTE (data+voice) is enabled.

11. Bunk009

Bunk009 Member
    Bronze

Awesome thanks. Are you using it?

12. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Unfortunately not. I'm still waiting for my iPhone 6+ to be shipped.

13. Bunk009

Bunk009 Member
    Bronze

Hang in there! Worth the wait. You think you'll use it from the start?

14. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

If it's available in my area, absolutely! If it sounds anything like FaceTime Audio call, It'll be my default method.

#14 ZR_Yancy, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  15. Zzz

Zzz Contributor
    Bronze

I've been using it since the night of 9/19 and no problems with calls or download speeds. I talk to my brother who has a 6+ with VoLTE enabled and he's in a VoLTE enabled market. Like I stated in an earlier post, it's like a FaceTime audio only call, just a bit crispier/clearer. My brother also ageed. He actually enabled it while we were on a call. We hung up, he called me back with VoLTE enabled and he mentioned the noticeable difference in call/audio quality. I am liking VoLTE so far. :)

Sent from my iPhone 6 using iCafe App.

16. Bunk009

Bunk009 Member
    Bronze

Hey so I was just recently on my iPhone and then hpened to glance at my iPad (after enabling lte voice and data) and it looked like the iPad was getting a call from my iPhone. Slid to answer and it said iPhone call failed. BUT what was that?!?! I don't even know what that was or what it should have been or will be

17. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

It's because we can now answer and make calls on all devices if they are on the same Wifi Network, running iOS 8 or Yosemite and using the same iCloud account.

#17 ZR_Yancy, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  18. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

As of iOS8 you can make and receive calls from an iPad.

19. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

OK, I didn't want to create a new thread for this because I think my issue is voLTE related. Three times since I have had this phone, I had call connection quality issues with my 6. I noticed that while on a call, the connection switched from LTE to 4G. While I don't remember my 5s doing this, it does make sense since I am not in a voLTE area. According to the AT&T HDVoice web page, it is currently only available in Indiana, Wisconson, Illinois and Minnesota. Anyway, in certain areas, the call connection quality really falls to where it is unusable. I have already reset my network settings, but it did re-occur.
    Now, I do know that some areas have crappy reception. I wouldn't bring this up just for that. These same areas do have a reduced signal, but I never experienced this problem with my 5s. I changed LTE to Data Only to see if this helps. I will test it out tomorrow.
    Has anyone else experienced any issues with call quality that might be related to the voLTE?

20. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

A bump on this.

I'm about to order my phone. I was going to switch to AT&T: one of the big reasons being for voice/data at the same time. Is VoLTE regular/reliable enough on Verizon for me to think they also support voice/data now?