Volume button

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by JWB, Apr 20, 2013.

1. JWB

JWB Member
    Bronze

My wife's down volume button on her iPhone 5 won't work. It works to volume up but not down. Anyone have his problem and if so any suggestions how to fix it?
    Thanks

Sent using iCafe app on iPhone 5

2. JON35Y

JON35Y Member
    Bronze

Hard reset or try a restore. That what Apple will suggest anyway as I've just come off the phone to them today about my sleep button. Also make sure that its on the latest software before ringing them.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

As JON35Y said above, try a hard reset (holding power and home button down at same time until it turns off and back on) or a restore. I have not had an issue with my volume buttons, but every now and then my power (sleep) button will not work. Everything seems fine now after a hard reset.

Sent using iCafe app

5. JWB

JWB Member
    Bronze

Thank you. I'll give it a try

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'd say if a hard reset or restore does not help, then it may be an internal issue. Has the phone been dropped at all? I sure hope not, but things happen.

Sent using iCafe app

7. JWB

JWB Member
    Bronze

It hasn't been dropped at all. Did a hard boot, still doesn't work. I'll try a restore

8. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Have to rule out a software problem before hardware. Try a restore for sure. Also do hard resets in consecutive order (2 or 3 in a row), sometimes this helps...

9. JWB

JWB Member
    Bronze

Thank you. I'll try it

10. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Ironically enough the same thing started happening with my wife's iPhone 5 last night. Volume up works, volume down does not. Tried all sorts of resets and restores, but no dice. At the Apple store now swapping it out. After doing some Googling on the subject it seems many others have this problem as well (unfortunately). Definitely hardware related.

11. seanr2478

seanr2478 New Member

Had the same problem with my sleep/ wake button. Took the phone into my nearest Apple store and the guy swapped it straight out, no problem. He said they don't even attempt to fix buttons as they can't get in to them or something along those lines. Had everything backed up to the cloud so new phone was up and running in 5 minutes. Hope this helps.

Sent using iCafe app

12. JWB

JWB Member
    Bronze

Thanks. No Apple store here. Closest is 2 1/2 hours away.

13. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Have you gone to your nearest Best Buy store or your carrier store to see if they can provide any assistance for you? I would be in this situation as well as I don't have an Apple store near me either.

Sent using iCafe app

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Did you buy it at a Verizon or AT&T Store? Check with them since they occasionally will replace it for people who don't have Apple Stores nearby. If this does not work, give Apple a call. They will ship you a new iPhone and you will return the broken one in the same box. They do 2-day shipping. If you have AppleCare+, shipping is free. If you don't have AppleCare+, shipping is $29. Return shipping for the old iPhone is free in both cases. You'd spend as much on gas driving to the Apple Store, so this is a great option. The downside to this method is that they will put hold on your credit card for the full value of the broken phone, which will be removed after they receive it. They are very fast, so the hold will only be there for a few days.

15. jsp3

jsp3 New Member

I have the same problem. Take it to the Genius Bar while you are still under warranty and they should be able to fix it. I went, one day after my warranty expired. While they confirmed the problem in my iPhone 5, they said it would be $269 to fix. The tech did helpfuly show me how there's a much less convenient softkey workaround using General> Accessibility> AssistiveTouch. This appears to be a common problem, given the number of reported complaints on the web.

16. JWB

JWB Member
    Bronze

Thanks for all the help...I just made an appointment at an Apple store about 2 1/2 hours from here...Have to go for a doc appt there anyway so it's on the way...