Volume in 1 speaker?

Cloverfield

Bronze
Jan 16, 2008
UK, Kent
www.CloverfieldMovieForum.com
This has annoyed me since i found out and would like to know if its the same as everyones or just mine.

At the bottom of the forum there are 2 speakers...either side of the charge hole. For me, sound only ever comes out of the left speaker holes but nothing ever in the right...WTF?

(Also the volume sucks!)

phop5

Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
This has annoyed me since i found out and would like to know if its the same as everyones or just mine.

At the bottom of the forum there are 2 speakers...either side of the charge hole. For me, sound only ever comes out of the left speaker holes but nothing ever in the right...WTF?

(Also the volume sucks!)
there is only one speaker, the other side is the mic.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Well that sucks. The volume for this phone is s***, if i wanna listen to song, i almost always have to put headphones in now :mad:
Get a thin needle and poke it through the holes of the speaker 'grille' . This will just pierce a dust shield and you'll find the volume doubles.

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
yeah, same question or is this just a joke about yet another speaker question? cause no doubt the speaker volume remains my biggest criticism of the phone and has since iDay

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Dude, are you serious, and have you done this?
Yes - to about 20 phones so far - not had any adverse affects so far. The speaker seems to be quite well recessed. If you work on a building-site or in a flour mill your take on it might be different, but so far no problems at all.

The volume increase and battery saving that comes from running at half volume in stead of full, makes it worthwhile. Also I don't miss calls now if the phone is in my pocket.

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
are you in the bitness or something? not many of us even have seen 20 other phones "in the wild" -- boy I want to do this but it scares me to go poking in holes I don't know what's on the other side of!

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Get a thin needle and poke it through the holes of the speaker 'grille' . This will just pierce a dust shield and you'll find the volume doubles.
It won't be in stereo, and the sound quality will be relatively poor.
The iPhone was designed to be used with earbuds or earphones.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
It won't be in stereo, and the sound quality will be relatively poor.
The iPhone was designed to be used with earbuds or earphones.
Sure - it's not hi-fi by any means. It's ok for emergencies and even for on-the-spot presentations to customers or showing the latest home movie to Aunt Nellie. The big advantage of making the thing a bit louder is being able to hear the blessed thing ringing.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Long live the queen... ahem.. I mean :)

yes, the poking method works unless you are in a dusty environment all the time. I did it and it definitely helped quite a bit.

Ryukyu

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
One of my biggest disappointments with the iPhone has been it's uselessness ( is that a real word?) as a speakerphone.
Maybe this will fix that.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Dude, are you serious, and have you done this?

Yes I have done this very thing, and was also surprised at the amout of lint it ticked up, the I just sucked it clean and sound is up up Up and away my crazy balloons.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I'm kinda worried too, I mean it IS a "dust" shield. won't any dust get in there and would I be able to clean it if I need to?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
I'm still worried about doing this.
don't be.

i did it like more than a month ago,

although i couldnt find a thin enough needle,

so i just used a staple.

unless you work/live at a really dusty environment, it will seriously help.

and about the doubling of the sound volume - yes, i can actually hear my phone when it goes Diiinnng! (new SMS)

so yeah.

take the plunge,

and do it.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
dammn...

so many people on the forum today

i posted my message and liike three other people also did.