volume not working

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saige1r, Aug 10, 2010.

1. saige1r

saige1r Member
    Bronze

Has this happened to anyone else? Sometimes when I pull out my headphones, my speaker will stop working. I'm not sure if it's related to jailbreak or not, but I only noticed it AFTER jb'ing. It also happened on my 3G, which was also jb'd. Thoughts please?

2. Mboy

Mboy New Member

Happened to me as well but it's usually after a skype call. A reboot usually fixes it.

3. maximo916

maximo916 Member
    Bronze

What apps are you using when this happens?
    When I'm using my headphones while listening to the iPod it does this. I assume the phone does it as a precaution, so if you're at work and the headphone comes loose your coworkers won't look at you weird when they hear Justin Bieber blasting out of your phone.
    If your problem is that you can't get your speakers to work after you press play again, then it might be a side effect of one of your Jailbroken apps.

4. Flyfunner5

Flyfunner5 Member
    Bronze

I have a different problem. My lower volume button is loose and moves around and I can hear it clank against the metal band. But I don't want to replace the iPhone 4 because I already put screen guards on the front, back, and sides.

5. Mboy

Mboy New Member

Mine isn't jb'ed and it happens. Am thinking it's a bug.

6. dblasgirl

dblasgirl New Member

Yesterday my iPhone 4S volume stopped working. It won't turn up or down. My phone only vibrates. I did a hard reset & I also reset it to original settings & backed it up on the cloud. Nothin has worked. The volume only works on the headphones. Can someone please tell me what I should do? I took the phone to my carrier and they said it would be about $200 to get a replacement phone from Apple. SOOOOOO NOT WORTH IT!

7. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

The carrier is wrong. I would just call Apple and tell them what is wrong and they will have you bring it in to an Apple genius and either fix it or replace it for a new one.

8. dblasgirl

dblasgirl New Member

I'm in Japan. The only way to get my phone to Apple is to ship it, but they are saying that I'm paying for a replacement phone.

9. dblasgirl

dblasgirl New Member

I will call them though & see what they suggest.

10. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Silly question, but is the phone on mute? Check button on side of phone.

11. dblasgirl

dblasgirl New Member

No, the phone isn't on mute. I'm not getting my alerts. When I push the volume up or down buttons the volume symbol doesn't even appear on the screen. It's almost as if it's not making contact somewhere inside the phone. Even when I flip the switch for mute, mute symbol doesn't appear on the screen.

12. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

I see. Well Apple generally has awesome customer service and will replace your phone if something is wrong that was not caused by you. I am not certain how it would work in Japan though.

13. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Try a hard reboot. Press and hold both the sleep and home buttons at the same time... Ignore the power off slider, keep holding them until you see the Apple logo. Then release both buttons. See if that helps.
    If not you could try a restore.

14. dblasgirl

dblasgirl New Member

I have already tried both of those. I said that in the original message.

15. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

So you did... I missed that somehow.
    Try inserting and removing the headphones a few times. Sometimes 'stuff' gets in the port and the phone thinks the headphones are plugged in.
    If all else fails, try a restore as new and see if that clears it up. That would eliminate a software issue.

16. dblasgirl

dblasgirl New Member

Ok. I'll try. I did the headphone thing once, but I'll try it a few more times. I'll also try the restore as new if that doesn't work. I'll let u know how it goes.

17. Johnwolves

Johnwolves Member
    Bronze

I had this problem and it was caused by a drop of rain getting into my headphone port. I solved the problem by gently cleaning it with a cotton bud

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

18. dblasgirl

dblasgirl New Member

Sooooo, I tried the cotton bud in the headphone port & the docking port. It didn't work. Thanks for the tip though. I hope something I try will work. I just don't wanna spend the $200 for a new phone.

19. Johnwolves

Johnwolves Member
    Bronze

I'm sorry to hear the cotton bud didn't work. I hope you manage to find a fix for it but I'm at a loss as to what else to suggest

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk