volume on touch

pepsi666

Feb 14, 2009
Hi, I'm new in here, and this forum is a lot easier than trying to get Apple to help out (sent them a question 3 days ago, still no reply)

AND it takes ages to find a contact on their contact page, anyway

I have a touch (well haven't we all in here):laugh2:

I have 40 odd audio books in there, I have the volume up as far as it will go, :oops:

I have set it to 'spoken word' but the volume I can hear is way down and it can be a struggle to hear anything if I'mn on a train/bus

IS there anything I can do to boost the volume on my touch ?

I also have quite a few films, so what format can I convert them to, so I will get the best results (I have a set of myvu glasses (no micky taking, please)

Any help/advice always appreciated :)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Are you using the headphones or trying to use the "external" speaker? I bought my wife a touch and I noticed that the speaker sucks bigtime.
If you are having problems with the headphones that is different.
First thing to do is turn off the eq. While it enhances some things, it hinders others.
If that isn't solving the problem, then check in iTunes to see if you have the volume set to be the same for everything. If so, turn it off. That should help tremendously.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
what format are your films in currently?

.m4v is the best format for the iPhone. If you need to convert them, i suggest Handbrake.

pepsi666

Feb 14, 2009
Are you using the headphones or trying to use the "external" speaker? I bought my wife a touch and I noticed that the speaker sucks bigtime.
If you are having problems with the headphones that is different.
First thing to do is turn off the eq. While it enhances some things, it hinders others.
If that isn't solving the problem, then check in iTunes to see if you have the volume set to be the same for everything. If so, turn it off. That should help tremendously.
Just the head phones that came with the touch, when I use speakers, I use the logitech ones that have a volume control
Only settings I have adjusted on he touch are 'spoken word'
I haven't adjusted the volume on iTunes (would adjusting that make any difference ?)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Just the head phones that came with the touch, when I use speakers, I use the logitech ones that have a volume control
Only settings I have adjusted on he touch are 'spoken word'
I haven't adjusted the volume on iTunes (would adjusting that make any difference ?)
I think you misunderstood some of my questions, but that's ok.
Turn the spoken word setting off. Turn sound check off and volume limit off.

pepsi666

Feb 14, 2009
I think you misunderstood some of my questions, but that's ok.
Turn the spoken word setting off. Turn sound check off and volume limit off.
Ah, right, only reason I turned that on was hoping it would increase trhe volume (didn't work, still like a whisper)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Are your Audio books the only thing affected? If music and video is also like that, I would take it back. If Audio books are the only thing that has soft volume, then I would look at the app running the audio and see if there is anything else that might be killing the volume

pepsi666

Feb 14, 2009
They were all taken from a CD(s), and iTunes converted them

They played okay on the PC, but then again I can boost the speakers a lot more than I can on the touch, they are fine when played through speakers (with the sound jacked up) but not when earphones connected, its just above a whisper :oops:

It just seems the audio books are affected :(

Cant really take it back, I bought it in the US in October :)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
They were all taken from a CD(s), and iTunes converted them

They played okay on the PC, but then again I can boost the speakers a lot more than I can on the touch, they are fine when played through speakers (with the sound jacked up) but not when earphones connected, its just above a whisper :oops:

It just seems the audio books are affected :(

Cant really take it back, I bought it in the US in October :)
are you sure that your earphones are fubar?

pepsi666

Feb 14, 2009
The earphones are fine, tried listening to the books (still on the touch) on a set of Sennheiser HD 650's headphones, still the same problem

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Then the only thing I can tell you is that your Audio books reader app is the problem. Are you using a separate app for the Audio books? I would look into another reader app and see if that corrects the problem.

pepsi666

Feb 14, 2009
Then the only thing I can tell you is that your Audio books reader app is the problem. Are you using a separate app for the Audio books? I would look into another reader app and see if that corrects the problem.
Not really sure what you mean audio book reader app ? (what other app would I use ?)

They were on a CD, I ripped them to my music, then copied them to my iTunes, then on to my touch, exactly as I have done anything on my touch, is there something else I have to do ?

If my earphones (and the sennheisers) were shot, the music would be the same as the books, wouldn't it ?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Not really sure what you mean audio book reader app ? (what other app would I use ?)

They were on a CD, I ripped them to my music, then copied them to my iTunes, then on to my touch, exactly as I have done anything on my touch, is there something else I have to do ?

If my earphones (and the sennheisers) were shot, the music would be the same as the books, wouldn't it ?
So you ripped these as MP3's? Maybe something is wrong with the settings you used to rip them.

pepsi666

Feb 14, 2009
all my musis is MP3,(then whatever format iTunes puts on my touch) everything on my touch was ripped from CD's, then put on the touch, same thing every time, same ripper, same PC

1 earphones, working
2 Head phones working fine
3 music, fine normal levels of listening
4 PC running fine
5 touch, fully charged, all up dated
7 music level at 50%
8 Audio books 100% but only at a whisper
9 books from iTunes (bought) whisper level
10 free games from iTunes, fine
11 films, working fine (using myvu glassses)

EVERYTHING checks out fine and working, apart from audio books

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
all my musis is MP3,(then whatever format iTunes puts on my touch) everything on my touch was ripped from CD's, then put on the touch, same thing every time, same ripper, same PC

1 earphones, working
2 Head phones working fine
3 music, fine normal levels of listening
4 PC running fine
5 touch, fully charged, all up dated
7 music level at 50%
8 Audio books 100% but only at a whisper
9 books from iTunes (bought) whisper level
10 free games from iTunes, fine
11 films, working fine (using myvu glassses)

EVERYTHING checks out fine and working, apart from audio books
Then you need some new settings for the audio books when you rip them.

pepsi666

Feb 14, 2009
I don't have any other settings,
I just rip em from a CD, open up iTunes, download to my touch
What other settings are there ?

pepsi666

Feb 14, 2009
great, those pictures are really good, but do you have any links ?
assuming they are on a webpage, cos I cant find em on my PC

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
great, those pictures are really good, but do you have any links ?
assuming they are on a webpage, cos I cant find em on my PC
Look in iTunes preferences... on your PC.