VPN and Exchange

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jhowton

Jul 1, 2007
Has anybody tried the VPN and or has anyone tried getting there email via exchange , good bad ?
I have mine sending/receiving email via my company's exchange server and I have it syncing contacts and calendar via Entourage (which in turn syncs with Exchange). I haven't played with the VPN yet, I am not even sure why it's there because there are no applications that can make use of it AFAIK.

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I have mine sending/receiving email via my company's exchange server and I have it syncing contacts and calendar via Entourage (which in turn syncs with Exchange). I haven't played with the VPN yet, I am not even sure why it's there because there are no applications that can make use of it AFAIK.

Ok, Can you tell me how you configured it. I just setup mine using the add mail and choose the exchange but it only shows the inbox. It doesn't actually show calendar or contacts along with other mail folders, also if i delete the email in my iPhone it wont' delete it on the server, it will just mark it as read. I had to have the IMAP port opened on my exchange server.

I'm assuming this "Exchange" option under the Mail Accounts is really just a standard IMAP connection.

jhowton

Jul 1, 2007
Ok, Can you tell me how you configured it. I just setup mine using the add mail and choose the exchange but it only shows the inbox. It doesn't actually show calendar or contacts along with other mail folders, also if i delete the email in my iPhone it wont' delete it on the server, it will just mark it as read. I had to have the IMAP port opened on my exchange server.

I'm assuming this "Exchange" option under the Mail Accounts is really just a standard IMAP connection.
Mine works the same way, in email I setup my company email account as an exchange account on the iPhone. On the phone I see my Inbox and all of its subfolders without a calendar or contacts. I use a MacBook Pro as a laptop with Office 2004 and Entourage (Outlook equivalent) and have a Dell desktop running Vista with the latest flavor of MS Office running on it. On the laptop, Entourage syncs with the Exchange server. I set up Entourage to sync with .Mac (under Preferences/Sync services check the boxes next to "Synchronize contacts and addresses with .Mac", "Synchronize events and tasks with iCal and .Mac" and "Synchronize Entourage notes with .Mac") and then I set up iTunes to sync all calendars and all contacts with the phone. The contacts and calendar events do not show up in the email tree like they do in Outlook, but the data is transferred to the phone, and show up in their respective locations there. Notes are not currently syncing but I'll work on that some more tomorrow.

So far I have not attempted to sync the phone with Outlook on the Windows machine, I think that might be tempting fate to try and sync with both O/S's...

I am going to have to get it working under Vista though because my businesss partner is buying an iPhone and he only runs Windows so I'll have to figure it out for him (but I'll get it working on his Vista box before I try it on mine, it's too fragile of an O/S IMO).

Jul 3, 2007
i am having trouble connecting to my work's exchange server. IMAP4 is enabled and the ports are opened but still nothing. they are running exchange server 2003...i heard that Microsoft had sent out an update for IMAP4 on server 2007 but nothing for 2003. We have tried everything, restarting both iPhone and mail server, IP address for host name...still nothing. Same error comes up after i try to save account settings.

any thoughts? thanks

digitalfx

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
i am having trouble connecting to my work's exchange server. IMAP4 is enabled and the ports are opened but still nothing. they are running exchange server 2003...i heard that Microsoft had sent out an update for IMAP4 on server 2007 but nothing for 2003. We have tried everything, restarting both iPhone and mail server, IP address for host name...still nothing. Same error comes up after i try to save account settings.

any thoughts? thanks
I have server 2003 and exchange works fine for me via IMAP...actually works better than my previous WM6 device which used exchange but only sent text messages. With the iPhone I am getting full html messages, they look great. The only thing is it does not push the email, I have to pull it,

Jul 3, 2007
"exchange account verification failed"
"the exchange server "mail.xxxxx.com" is not responding..."
"IMAP support must be enabled on the Exchange Server"

Any thoughts as to what else needs to be done on the server side?

jhowton

Jul 1, 2007
The iPhone settings that work for me are:

Host name: mail.myhostname.com
Username: jhowton (my username on the domain without the "domainname\" prefix)
Password: mydomainpwd

Advanced settings:
Incoming uses SSL: OFF
Outgoing uses SSL: OFF
Authentication: NTLM
IMAP Path Prefix: INBOX

The server is a Windows 2003 Small Business Server with all current updates installed.

Also under my user properties on the domain server:

Mobile Services
Outlook mobile access: Enabled
User Initiated Synchronization: Enabled
Up-to-date notifications: Enabled

Protocols
Outlook Web Access: Enabled, using protocol defaults
POP3: Enabled, using protocol defaults
IMAP4: Enabled, using protocol defaults

HTH.

Jul 3, 2007
yes thats the answer i was looking for. thanks. it sounds like we don't have all the ports open on the network or one of the IMAP services isn't running correctly.

Jul 3, 2007
i got it to work! thanks for all the info.

FYI to everyone, iPhone does not except .bz domains. We had to switch over to our other mail servers.

drlbg

Jul 1, 2007
How do you access the Advanced settings while setting up Exchange...I don't see the advanced button? Do you have to specify a port number when identifying the servers?

Thanks.

raremage

Jul 10, 2007
So quick question (or maybe not so quick) - I'm sending and receiving email, but when I delete items from the iPhone, they still appear in Outlook. basically I need to go through and re-delete everything. These items are marked as read, but it's rather a large pain in the rump, and I was hoping there is a setting I have missed somewhere?

thanks!

jhowton

Jul 1, 2007
So quick question (or maybe not so quick) - I'm sending and receiving email, but when I delete items from the iPhone, they still appear in Outlook. basically I need to go through and re-delete everything. These items are marked as read, but it's rather a large pain in the rump, and I was hoping there is a setting I have missed somewhere?

thanks!
Not that I am aware of, I think that's how it was designed to work.

jro0420

Jul 11, 2007
i got it to work! thanks for all the info.

FYI to everyone, iPhone does not except .bz domains. We had to switch over to our other mail servers.
Chad was their a certain port you had to use? I am trying to gather as much info as possible so I can talk with our Network Guys. Does anyone have a step by step guide in setting this up?

geekee

Jul 12, 2008
I'm new to the forum so a big hi to everyone reading this.

I am having problems with syncing my iPhone 3G with our SBS 2003 R2 server. All the settings are accepted in the iPhone after it asks me to enter the exchange server address but no email, contacts or calendar and synced. Everything remains empty. I have sent a message from the iPhone and it diappears but doesn't arrive anywhere.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have checked all settings and even have an SSL cert from a certificate authority. Do I need ISA installed on SBS for the routing to work?