Vterm users - Avoid ZiPhone 3.0

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
If you use Vterm, I would strongly recommend you avoid using ZiPhone 3.0, and instead use one of the 2.5 derivitives or one of the newer alternatives like iLiberty.

ZiPhone 3.0 installs its own BSD Subsystem, of which will not allow you to log in using the "alpine" password. Applying SUID Fixes and Term fixes do not solve the problem, nor does reinstalling the BSD Subsystem by editing your LocalPackages.plist.

I found a "fix" online which I won't post here because its extremely hit or miss, with the most common result being a phone that is stuck in DFU mode.

I've restored a friends phone about 3 times now going through the motions and we ended up using ZiPhone 2.5c without any problems.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
If you use Vterm, I would strongly recommend you avoid using ZiPhone 3.0, and instead use one of the 2.5 derivitives or one of the newer alternatives like iLiberty.

ZiPhone 3.0 installs its own BSD Subsystem, of which will not allow you to log in using the "alpine" password. Applying SUID Fixes and Term fixes do not solve the problem, nor does reinstalling the BSD Subsystem by editing your LocalPackages.plist.

I found a "fix" online which I won't post here because its extremely hit or miss, with the most common result being a phone that is stuck in DFU mode.

I've restored a friends phone about 3 times now going through the motions and we ended up using ZiPhone 2.5c without any problems.
I made mine work by downloading Cydia packager.

then i could successfuly log into Term-vt100, and it works fine...

thats my help

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Yeah but Cydia sucks with respects to its version of BSD not playing nice with many apps that require BSD to run :(

Have you been through the nightmare of trying to uninstall Cydia and it's BSD?

Thats a whole other can of worms.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
not really its just there on my springboard... I think its either 1.5 or 2.0 (referring to bsd)